Ideas for building a guitar cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for building a guitar cabinet

I am building a cathode bias 15 watt el-84 amp similar to a matchless spitfire with a few tweaks. I was mostly considering building my own speaker cabinet to go with it. I have narrowed it down to possibly a 210 cabinet with weber 15 watt blue pups or a slightly unconventional approach.

I was thinking of a trapezoidal cabinet with 2 webber alnico blue 8" speakers on the bottom and a single vintage 30 above them. If I got two 8-ohm 8" and wired them in series to make 16-ohms and then wired that in parallel with a 16-ohm vintage 30 that should give me a 8 ohm cabinet. The question is how would it sound? and does anyone have any experience doing something like this? would I be better off just using a more standard 210 cab?

>> I am building a cathode bias 15 watt el-84 amp similar to a matchless spitfire with a few tweaks.

I'm not sure that two 10" speakers would sound better than one 12" speaker at double the price.

Check out Christine, my 16 watt EL-84 amp.
    I built the cabinets with old Fender TV style amps in mind.
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/Ampersand.html
    See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

I'm a big fan of mixing speakers. Could you get a 16 ohm 8" speaker? The way you describe it I believe each 8" would get 25% of your power and the 12" would get 50%. If both the speakers were 16 ohm 50% would go to each speaker. Either way you're at 50% Weber, 50% Celestion but you may not be pushing the Weber hard enough to get the maximum tone coloration. It depends on what you want, but it seems like speakers really color the sound once they are pushed past a certain point. You may get better bass response with more speakers and I like that you want to do something different.

Comment

Webber only sells the 8" blue pup in 4 and 8 ohms. That kind of wiring was the only way that I could think of to get a balanced tone between the mix of speakers. I have been looking at using the warehouse speakers "cellestion" instead of the real thing. there is a huge thread about them on here somewhere. All tole I will have about 100 dollars tied up in the speakers for this project.

Comment

Working...
        X