Help with new bass AMP buzzing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with new bass AMP buzzing

I haven't played bass in a couple years. Had a Peavey Mark III that sounded great. Bought an AMPEG BA_108 practice amp the other day. Fender musicmaster bass, same bass I used before.

At any volume, even very quiet, the ampeg amp rattles and buzzes, especially on A notes.

Suggestions? I'm trying to decide if I got a bad amp, if the amp design in general does this, or if my guitar is adding some strange interference? Playing with the headset plugged in, I don't hear the buzz.

Something is loose?

Comment

Originally posted by nexus_2006 View Post
      I haven't played bass in a couple years. Had a Peavey Mark III that sounded great. Bought an AMPEG BA_108 practice amp the other day. Fender musicmaster bass, same bass I used before.

At any volume, even very quiet, the ampeg amp rattles and buzzes, especially on A notes.

Suggestions? I'm trying to decide if I got a bad amp, if the amp design in general does this, or if my guitar is adding some strange interference? Playing with the headset plugged in, I don't hear the buzz.
      Sounds like speaker, cabinet, or baffle rattle to me. Take it back. Play the one you are taking home in the store.

Comment

Sorry for what I'll say, but a 25W 1x8" amplifier for Bass is a toy.
        Even more so if it's cheaply made in Vietnam.
        The name printed on the badge does not matter much.
        As you correctly remember, your old Peavey was a *real* amp.
        I'd send that little Ampeg back, to begin with, and getting something else.
        Maybe a used Peavey Basic 60, with 50W RMS and a 12" speaker , or a similar one, can be had (used, of course) for peanuts.
        It's not because of the power, but speaker/cabinet.
        A killer 25W amp was the Fender BXR25 with a 10" speaker.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

This is pretty much what you can expect from a fake Ampeg.
          It's really a crate amp with an Ampeg logo on the cabinet.
          The makers of these amps bought the "Ampeg" label and stuck it on their amps, to gain credibility.
          If you buy amps made in China or Viet Nam, you can't really expect quality or support.

Comment

Working...
          X