Traynor YGM3 volume very low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traynor YGM3 volume very low

I have gotten the Traynor YGM3 amp with 3 inputs. I get very very low output nomatter where the volume setting is. All tubes are new and are lit. I have checked voltages and they are there except they are higher than what the schematic specifies. I checked all the caps but three or four (three musturd color) when the cap meter tries to read the capacitance, at the end it displays "fuse". According to the cap meter manual, this would indicate that the cap meter fuse needs replacement but the fuse is ok. The subject caps are associated with tubes V2 and v6. I am thinking of replacing all the caps, do you think it is necessary to replace them all or just some specific ones. If some specificones, could you suggest which ones are most likely the culprit. if you have any other recommendation I would appreciated.

This is the link to the Amp's service manual. It has schematic and wiring diagram. http://traynoramps.com/downloads/servman/smygm3.pdf

Thanks for your help

If the question is volume related the more likely suspect is a resistor or resistors that have changed value. Use a process of elimination taking the systems on one at a time. Once you've eliminated the easy stuff-speaker, tubes-then it's time to tackle them one by one.

I wouldn't put too much stock in those low voltage multimeters with cap checker function. They put the cap in an r/c timing function and if there's leakage they'll take longer to charge up and thus show a different value. If you think maybe the caps are dodgy, why replace them. You can always reinstall the ones you take out if substitution doesn't make much difference.

Start with a voltage map with all tubes installed and load connected and see what you get. I've got an amp just like yours and it is plenty loud enough for a pair of EL84s. You can address the safety and bias mismatch factor by replacing the .1/400 coupling caps, they are C14 and C15 on my schematic. Here's the story on mine.

Judybox Revival: Reviving a Traynor YGM3 Guitarmate

Comment

Working...
    X