Oei Rip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oei Rip?

I've been away for some time (had to pack everything in storage for a home addition) and last night just started setting up my workspace again. I started brainstorming(/fantasizing) about a new total scratch build. I've been missing my Mig 50 since I sold it and was thinking of a 50 watt-ish EL34 kind of thing. I went to check out Joe's site to see if the OEI transformers were still available but there is no site there anymore.

Is OEI RIP? Joe, where are you!

If gone, what are folks using now as upgrades to existing amps or iron for scratch builds?

steve

Rath,
    I've used Joe's trannies in the past and I can say they are excellent tone monsters.

But if you can't get them any more try New Sensor MOP 50 or MOP 100 watters. I've had excellent result with builds using these and I talked to Allen Ato at NS and he told me Mike Mathews blueprinted a couple of old 1970's marshall trannies to have his copies made. I've even used them in the SLO-100 clone builds and they sounded great.

Hope this helps

SLO

Comment

I had used the MM plexi iron back in the days when it was reasonably priced. I wouldn't consider using it at the prices they're asking now.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

didn't the Mig 50s use 6L6s? Thought the Mig 60 was EL34s.....

Comment

Sovtek have two types of 50W Marshall replacement OTs. They have a cheaper taiwanese version. Does anyone have any experience with that one?

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post
            didn't the Mig 50s use 6L6s? Thought the Mig 60 was EL34s.....

I think Migs need to use 5881wxt or 6P3S-E

Comment

Indeed the Mig50 used 5881s, but I always wanted to trade up to an OEI transformer and switch to EL34s. I never did it though since the amp always sounded really great as it was, so I figured I'd build a clone with an OEI OPT and EL34s someday.

Most of my home-rolls have used salvaged iron from non-working chassis acquired from ebay (50s or 60 Magnavox hifis) and so I'd like to build and amp using something specifically used in guitar amps.

Comment

Just to let you all know, the mig series amps used russian iron and not the MOP series output trannies even though Mike Mathews sold both.

If I build another amp, I'll probably use the MOP OT as they sounded good in all the amps I built. And I've used alot of other brand trannies too.

SLO

Comment

Working...
                X