Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID these Hammond transformers?

Hi,
    I'm new around here so I'm just jumping right in with a question.

These are the codes from a couple transformers that are in an old Hammond organ amp. I got the amp in fair cosmetic shape for next to nothing and it's supposed to work, but I haven't tried it yet. Since the seller (ebay) shipped it to me very poorly packed, there was some damage to the components so I'm now looking at this as a source of parts, not a supposedly working amp.

I'm wondering if these transformers can be used for a small guitar amp project but I don't have a clue (other than here) where to start looking for data on these. A Fender Princeton or Champ clone is what I'd like to build with these if possible. If I'm lucky enough to be able to use these for a small guitar amp, that would be a nice start on a my first full amp build. I've done lots of work on my other amps, just never started with a pile of parts before.

Power Transformer:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Output Transformer:

Any help with specs, dates or anything else about these would be great.

Cheers,
    - JJ
    My Momma always said, Stultus est sicut stultus facit

Not much help but I found this frase with google which might state that these transformers are from year 1972 and 1973...

"Later Leslie motors have a sticker on them indicating their manufacturing date. The formula is XXX-YYWW, where XXX is the manufacturer EIA code (190 indicates General Instrument in the present example), YY is the last two digits of the year of manufacture, and WW is the week of manufacture. In the example shown, 190-7215 was made in the 15th week of 1972."

Comment

The tube line-up in the organ amp will give you a clue as to what the trannies are capable of handling.

Comment

JJ,

Not to steer you in another direction - well, yes actually, but a working Hammond working amp may be much more valuable to someone restoring Hammond organs than as a conversion project. There are several Hammond and other organ BBSs similar to this forum and I'd search them and see if you can get either a better trade or some $$ before I'd tears into this chassis. While the tone wheel assemblies are much more unique than Hammond amps there is still a high demand for vintage Hammond parts.

Rob

Comment

EIA code 549

EIA code 549 is Midwest Current Transformer, www.midwestcurrent.com . Yes, they are still in business 35 years after yours were built. Perhaps someone there could help you.

The upper line of numbers is the Hammond part no. The lower is the EIA mfr/date code. EIA is the (US) Electrical Industry Association. You'll find these numbers on speakers, pots, caps etc. in particular, and they can be very helpful.

Comment

JJ,

Not to steer you in another direction - well, yes actually, but a working Hammond working amp may be much more valuable to someone restoring Hammond organs than as a conversion project. There are several Hammond and other organ BBSs similar to this forum and I'd search them and see if you can get either a better trade or some $$ before I'd tears into this chassis. While the tone wheel assemblies are much more unique than Hammond amps there is still a high demand for vintage Hammond parts.

Rob
            Hi,
            Yeah I know but this amp was damaged in shipping by someone stuffing it into a box full of packing peanuts and nothing else and several parts of the amp are done for. It's also not a tube amp so there's no tube compliment to go by. Because it's a SS amp I'm not even sure the trannys put out enough to run a tube amp, but they might with the right design. That's my first task though - find out if they're even capable of being used in a simple single ended tube amp, at least one with commonly available tubes. I'm looking to build a little 'blues grinder' type guitar amp so these might (or not) be up to the task.

I appreciate the help! I sent an email to Midwestern with all the codes, so we'll see what if anything they have to say about these.

Cheers,
            - JJG
            My Momma always said, Stultus est sicut stultus facit

Comment

Working...
            X