Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirty and constant sound

hi people!

I have a MARSHALL MG 102 FX… just when I turn it on, before I plug the guitar, it starts making a dirty sound, all the time… just like when you are looking for a station in the radio and you find nothing… I tried using my headphones and also you can hear it… it’s not very loud, if you plug the guitar and play I guess it’s still there but then you don’t hear it… the sound of the guitar itself hides this buzz… but when you stop playing you hear it again, and it’s very annoying…

So, what can I do? Anyone has an idea about why this happens? Where should I bring the amp? Guitar shop? Electronic shop? Amps cemetery?

Thanks in advance!

oscar

Hiss or "white noise" is probably what you are describing. If it is a lot more than usual, you probably have a noisy component, most likely a semiconductor. Semiconductor means things like transistors and integrated circuit chips. Unless you are skilled enough and have the tools to identify and remove and replace parts soldered to the circuit board, you will need to take this repair to a technician at an amp repair shop.

By determining which controls on the amp have or have not some effect on the sound of the noise, we can narrow it down to a small area of the circuit. But that won't eliminate having to solder new parts in.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

hi enzo, thanks a lot... i've checked in youtube "white nose" and it seems to be the very same sound...

anyway doesn't sound very easy to fix by myself... i don't understand a word about transistors and chips... why do you think it could have happened? the amp must be 3 years old but i've used it like 20 times (gigs, and very loud)... and a few times more at home (not loud)... doesn't look like "over-used" to me... is there any other way to attenuate this white sound?

thanks again!

Comment

Is the amplifier not under warranty?

Comment

Yes, if you bought it new, it may still be under warranty.

This didn't "happen" because of anything you did. Parts can just randomly fail.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X