Best way to step down PT secondary voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to step down PT secondary voltage

I have a power transformer I would like to use for a "Phoenix" build. The schematic calls for a PT with secondary of 298V. I have a PT from an old Newcomb amp (2 x EL84) that is 335V secondary, loaded. What would be the best way to get the proper voltages for the Phoenix build?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Carmen Ghia schematic[1].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	867474

Convert the excess voltage to heat?
    Edit: Is this a test?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      Not a test, actually trying to make use of this transformer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Personally, I'd convert the excess voltage to SOUND

edit: EL84s can easily take the 335vdc, I believe
        increase R1 to lower screen and preamp voltages
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by disorder View Post
          Not a test, actually trying to make use of this transformer.
          Is this not where the BOZ comes in?
          (big old zener)

Comment

I agree, just increase the value of R1 a little and let it rip.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

750 /10watt: 750 Ohm 10W Resistor Wire Wound 5% Tolerance 016-750
              1000/10watt: 1K Ohm 10W Resistor Wire Wound 5% Tolerance 016-1K

Comment

All of the advice (with the possible exception of make more heat ) are good. Actually, that's what a zener does, anyway.

It all depends on what you want. If you want exactly what the schemo says, you can go to some trouble with bucking transformers and such. I can help with that if you like. A small trannie with two 35-48V secondaries can knock that much off each end of the B+ windings. But it would also have a lot of voltage stress on the secondaries. It would probably work OK.

But I like the idea of just running the output stage at the B+ you get and adjusting the preamp down.
                Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by disorder View Post
                  I have a power transformer I would like to use for a "Phoenix" build. The schematic calls for a PT with secondary of 298V. I have a PT from an old Newcomb amp (2 x EL84) that is 335V secondary, loaded. What would be the best way to get the proper voltages for the Phoenix build?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24167[/ATTACH]
                  Connect a 150ma 5Hy choke to the +DC output of the rectifier first... then the unnecessarily large 50uF@500v filter cap.
                  A 22uF to 33uF@450v filter cap is probably more then enough.... take all the B+ voltages for the amp from that point on.
                  Bruce

Mission Amps
                  Denver, CO. 80022
                  www.missionamps.com
                  303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks for the all the ideas guys.

Bruce, would I be relying on the chokes DC resistance here to step down the voltage? And also gaining the extra filtering?

I've attached a partial schem of the amp I am converting to the "Phoenix". Would there be any risk/drawback with adding an extra RC stage to the power supply immediately following the rectifier to step down to the proper plate voltage and take all other voltages after that as you normally would?

Name:	ot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	544.6 KB
ID:	829637

Comment

What about a simple MOSFET with a Zener as shown on GEOFX? Costs about 3$.

Name:	mosfol4.gif
Views:	3
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	831604

Comment

did you ever figure this out? building the exact same amp with almost identical PT and trying to figure out how to get the thing to stop fizzing out on me.

Comment

Got the fizzing sorted out...stupid me forgot to install the R26 470K resistor. Still going to play with resistor values in R1 as suggested here. Also was told that leaving R1 alone and replacing the 130R with 220R at R12 would do me right as well. Will update with feedback.

Comment

Barry would like to hear your thoughts on the circuit. I unfortunately ran into some financial issues so this amp won't get built for another month or so. I'll end up just increasing R1 as suggested here and using decent EL84s.

Comment

Working...
                            X