should I put 2 12s in my 65 Super?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I put 2 12s in my 65 Super?

The amp is great no doubt. It unfortunatly has fallen over like 3 times and the baffle board finally broke. (thats what happens when you have wheels)

I have one 12" Tone Tubby Alnico and was thinking of getting another or possibly their ceramic magnet to have one of each. They will be 8 ohms each.

I know that Supers need 2 ohms but isnt it ok if you increase your resistance? I would appreciate your feedback. I love my Matchless Cheiftain and this will be an incredible amp I will use for stereo!

Check my band out at
    www.myspace.com/covertopslive

Thanks fells

Dallas
    Check my band out at [url]www.myspace.com/covertopslive[/url]

Having 4 instead of 2 ohms for a speaker load isn't going to hurt the amp, although the tone may suffer a bit.

I've considered designing a two-wheel caster system for amps, similar to that used with luggage. This would be much better than four wheels, which tip over easily.

The other option is to have heads and amp cabs, which are much easier to haul.

Have you considered smaller replica amps?
    There are two reasons for this: your '65 is a vintage collectable, and both amps will get very loud. My personal favorite is the Matchless Spitfire - 18 watts, which is plenty loud for a club. I'm putting tweed on a 4 watt amp that can be played with the volume on 10 without annoying the neighbors.
    Last edited by PRNDL; 06-25-2007, 01:25 PM. Reason: update with more info
    See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

Since you are asking for opinions, here's mine-

hStick with te 4 x 10 set up in the super reverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallacast View Post
        The amp is great no doubt. It unfortunatly has fallen over like 3 times and the baffle board finally broke. (thats what happens when you have wheels)

I have one 12" Tone Tubby Alnico and was thinking of getting another or possibly their ceramic magnet to have one of each. They will be 8 ohms each.

I know that Supers need 2 ohms but isnt it ok if you increase your resistance? I would appreciate your feedback. I love my Matchless Cheiftain and this will be an incredible amp I will use for stereo!

Check my band out at
        www.myspace.com/covertopslive

Thanks fells

Dallas

Hey Dallas, whats up?

This is Brian. I'm the guitar player in the band that Al played in before you guys. I built the Super Reverb and brought it up to your "barn party".

Anywho, two 12's may sound just fine to you. I happen to like the sound just fine. Seeing as your baffle is already cracked, you can get both. Baffles are inexpensive.

I have a feeling that you would rather be using the amp then letting it sit and the amp is more of a gigger than a historic value piece to you. Try the 12's.

Take care, Brian

Comment

Working...
        X