No announcement yet.

6l6 drawing only 20 mA and red plating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6l6 drawing only 20 mA and red plating?

I am retubing an old Peavey Encore 65 uning a nos set of russian winged C 6L6s from 1994. Anyhow there is no bias adjustment and drawing only 20 mA there is a small part of the plate structure glowing in the middle where the 2 half-shells are tacked together. I thought it may be just the heater running too close to that spot but its not that because when i remove the standby it stops glowing. Any opinions?

Are both tubes looking the same or only one? If only one, switch the tubes socket to socket and note if the problem follows the tube or the socket. That will tell you if it's a defective tube or an internal problem.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Are both tubes looking the same or only one? If only one, switch the tubes socket to socket and note if the problem follows the tube or the socket. That will tell you if it's a defective tube or an internal problem.
      Tried that and the problem follows the tube.

Comment

Bad tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          Bad tube.
          Aw, can i leave in there or better to discard it ? It will only have a shorter life i guess?

Comment

Depends on if you are a betting man or not. There's that foot bridge across that ravine. You can see that part of it is bad. Do you take the chance and walk across that bridge, or do you find another route to your destination?
            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Nice analogy.
              CRACK!
              There goes your foot through a board.
              Aw sh*t.

Comment

Yeah, but I don't want to walk ALL THE WAY AROUND!!! Hey, it could work out. What's the worst that could happen?
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

For some reason I am reminded of some farm boy wisdom:

What is the worst part about sex with a cow?

You have to walk ALL the way around front to kiss them when you are done.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                  X