No announcement yet.

1979 Fentder Twin, Output hum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just as a thought, did you try replacing the 20uf's with 20's? Or did you go straight to 47? I've found that lots of times I fix something and I assume that I got it fixed, whereas when I replaced that part with the original value, the replacement part was bad, so eventually I found that and it was fixed. My point is that, the amp came with a certain value and it worked, so you have to be careful of using other values/parts as bandaids. Anyway, good to hear it works.

I hope you got the jist of what I'm trying to say. I know that I can see that my explanation here doesn't do "as" well as I'm trying to say, but I think a regularly smart person, (as I'd think everyone on here is, we do work on amps.... ) can see my point. I could do better in person, but this should work...

Comment

Hi Isaac. In the beginning i used 22 mfd 450 volts. When that didn' fix the hum i pulled them and checked them with a cap tester i have. The meter showed they were good. Simply because something is new does not mean it's good. After thinking about it and out of despiration i installed the 47 mfd caps. I've found in situations like this , if the fix works, even if it's not orthodox, run with it. It's the same as looking for a broken wire. Sometimes it's easier to just run a new wire. Since i do this for a living i can't afford to get bogged down on any one amp. As i've said, in the end ,if the customer is happy, i'm happy. Thanks for the input everyone.

Comment

I suspect the 22 mfd was defective even though it may have tested ok using a cap tester. Many Fenders I've had (and have now) use 22 mfd in that circuit location and don't hum.
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

I agree with Joe, same thing I pointed out a couple posts ago, on this very thread, sometimes testers don't get everything. If it were I, (probably since I'm OCD pretty bad...) I would definitely try 22uf's again... But everyone's happy here, so I guess that is a good reason to resist the temptation...

Comment

Hello everyone. It probably was a defective 22 mfd cap. I have a huge problem myself trusting any piece of test equipment. I don't even trust a calculater. LOL. But on the other hand as far as filter values go, i hear some people increase the filter values as part of a mod. It's supposed to increase the bass response or something like that. Someone on here knows more about that than i do. I figure the 47 mfd caps will give a little more filtering and it may change the tone somewhat, but it's working now and that's what the customer wanted. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Yes, I think going up to 47 mfd from 22 gives a bit tighter bass, at least in a few Fenders, (i.e. for the plate and screens, downstream I use 20 or so). But it's not a real drastic change IME.
              "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
              - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
              X