Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experiences with Weber signature ceramic speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experiences with Weber signature ceramic speakers?

I have heard a few Webers before, but not the signature stuff. I know that they are economical replacements, and that is up my alley at this point in time. I see the 12, 12b, and 12s. Any experiences with these? Maybe a mix would bring something interesting?

That's a Kazoo.

This is a guitar speaker:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	evm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	833382

And for those who do not have roadies, to carry your EVMs...

There is the Jensen Blackbird, which is a light-weight retro design.
    Probably the favorite.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	jensen blackbird.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	833383You can also take the bell cover off the magnet, to fit it into smaller amps.
    Last edited by soundguruman; 05-19-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

That was a great non-answer, SGM.

Mushy, I've read several threads on mixing speakers in multi-speaker cabs and had the impression that it was about 50/50 whether it helped or not. Just make sure your impedance is correct. I don't know the engineering part but I know what sounds good to me and what doesn't. That's going to determine what YOU like, although some of the other guys here can tell you about characteristics of specific Weber speakers, I'm sure.
      --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
        That was a great non-answer, SGM.

Mushy, I've read several threads on mixing speakers in multi-speaker cabs and had the impression that it was about 50/50 whether it helped or not. Just make sure your impedance is correct. I don't know the engineering part but I know what sounds good to me and what doesn't. That's going to determine what YOU like, although some of the other guys here can tell you about characteristics of specific Weber speakers, I'm sure.
        I think that when you have 2X mixed speakers,
        probably the music store only had one of each in stock, and told you that mixing them would sound better.
        (not)

The thing about good speakers is that they cost a lot, and sound a lot better.
        So it's more worth it to use speakers that cost $450 a pair, instead of cheap ones.
        And the good ones last much longer too.

I would rather use CAST frame speakers. I would rather EVM.
        I would rather put 2X 12 inch in two small cabinets.

But when you use EVM or JBL, etc, you will never want to use cheap speakers again.
        Good speakers sound that much better.

Club owners want low volume, so I use 1X 12 and never a 4X12.

Comment

That's odd, I've never seen a music store mix speakers in a new amp or even sell someone a mis-matched pair because they didn't have enough of the right ones. I was referring to the numerous reviews and comments I've read on various music forums. And I can verify from personal experience that two different speakers of the same impedance can in fact project subtle (or not so subtle) sound characteristics in an amp or stereo. I've done it. As far as the frames go, there are far fewer cast than stamped and I think if it's been good enough for almost 100 years it's good enough today. There is a difference in quality in some cases, no question, but to dismiss a speaker because of a stamped frame is foolish. I'd be happy to trade you my Peavey Black Widow speakers for some "cheap" Jensens or Celestions.

I have a pair of 1975 EV 15" SRO (in separate cabinets) for my bass and an SRO 12" in my Fender guitar amp. They are no doubt very high quality (and un-Godly heavy!), but certainly not the end-all, be-all of speakers. I've been playing guitar and bass for 35+ years and I've seen and heard a lot, just like others here. There are a lot of great, non-cast-frame speakers out there.

Once again you're showing your obvious tunnel-vision when it comes to equipment. A true musician never does that, we all experiment and use what sounds good to our ears. Think out of the box (no pun intended) once in a while, you might learn something.

Mushy, here's a thread about the Signature series to peruse:

Link
          --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

SGM

Just because you adore the EVM's doesn't lend credence to naming all other guitar speakers "Kazoo"s repeatedly. There must be hundreds of loved guitar speaker models (and hundreds more that are there just for marketing of course). It's possible to be the only sane person in a room, but another thing entirely when you pit yourself against the whole world!?! There are big buildings full of padded rooms and happy pills for people that do that.

Please think on it. The OP was asking about a specific speaker model. Very specific. And you jumped in to tell them that all guitar speakers that you don't endorse are shit.?. That's a tad off in any setting. Sort of like going up to a guy in line at McDonalds and loudly proclaiming that the food there is shit and no one should eat out at all unless it's Olive Garden.

Believe it or not, I'm just trying to help you.

I've liked EVM's whenever I've used them. I haven't loved them. I agree that WRT speakers cheap generally equals bad. I also agree that cast frames are superior to stamped frames. I never had a cast frame speaker that suffered from coil rub or cone cry. So those two opinions/facts would be well placed in the right setting. On the other hand, I myself am a fan of Celestion speakers, which have become the same cheap crap as anything else out there. But they still sound the way I like so I buy them. Remarkably, even though they are cheap stamped frame speakers, I very rarely have any problems. In fact most vintage amps used cheap stamped frame speakers and, aside from the old animal glues drying up, most still work fine. In conclusion I surmise that while better materials and cast frames are indeed superior, they are unnecessary. Like wearing body armor every day because plain old clothing offers little protection. I expect you do this. It's just overkill 99% of the time.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Well, I've had hit or miss results with the sig's. I had an old CTS 10" reconed to a sig for a Guild Thunder 1...turned out excellent. Had a 12" sig for a Princeton that was icepick city...it was supposed to be a "P12R" equivalent. Was almost unusable. Replaced with a real early 60's P12R...was like heaven. Put an 8" sig alnico in a vintage champ...excellent speaker, even before being broken in. Just did everything right. I dropped a 12" sig that was highly recommended for the tweed deluxe in my tweed/brown/blackface hybrid Princeton clone. I thought my amp was messed up. Modded the circuit 10 ways to Sunday. Pulled it out, and popped an el cheapo 12 1963 organ speaker in it...way better. I had the last sig for a year...it was well broken in. I tried a few different speakers since then, but none were as muddy and icepicky at the same time as the 120125a Weber. I ended up going with a '58 12" Wurlitzer by Magnavox (which is really close in sound to a vintage P12R)

Comment

The alnico Sig 12S is nice, but pretty inefficient. No experience with the ceramic.

Have you considered looking used? You'd be surprised at what you can find in some of those $100 412 cabinets. Turn the empty cab around on craigslist for $50 or whatever you can get for it.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                  That's a Kazoo.

This is a guitar speaker:

And for those who do not have roadies, to carry your EVMs...

There is the Jensen Blackbird, which is a light-weight retro design.
                  Probably the favorite.
                  You can also take the bell cover off the magnet, to fit it into smaller amps.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                    I think that when you have 2X mixed speakers,
                    probably the music store only had one of each in stock, and told you that mixing them would sound better.
                    (not)

The thing about good speakers is that they cost a lot, and sound a lot better.
                    So it's more worth it to use speakers that cost $450 a pair, instead of cheap ones.
                    And the good ones last much longer too.

I would rather use CAST frame speakers. I would rather EVM.
                    I would rather put 2X 12 inch in two small cabinets.

But when you use EVM or JBL, etc, you will never want to use cheap speakers again.
                    Good speakers sound that much better.

Club owners want low volume, so I use 1X 12 and never a 4X12.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Back to what matters, the speakers.

I have tried and even repaired a few Weber Signture.

Things cost here double the USA price, so unexperienced and not-exactly-rich kids often try to have the *brands* they read about ... but the cheapest one available.
                      I call that "label shopping" , as in, the kid who dreams of a Fender Twin actually buys an FM212R which from 20 meters away looks somewhat like the real thing, or buys a Squier instead of a real Strat and so on.
                      And reading that Webers are very good (which they are) read the price list and buy the cheapest ones ... which happen to be the Signatures.
                      Usually 50 to 60% price of the USA made version.

Truth is, they are not bad at all ... not superlative either, just very usable middle of the road products.
                      If you have , say, a mid priced Fender (HRDL class) or a similar Peavey (Classic 30/50) , Signatures are about the same as the OEM Eminences fitted there.
                      Now if you have a couple broken speakers, where reconing matches or surpasses replacement price, buying a couple Weber Signatures is an interesting option.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I've used a number of weber speakers - I only used one signature ceramic (on a champ build). Sounded okay, its the only line of weber speakers I would never use again. Okay isn't much compared to really great.

Comment

Working...
                        X