Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to identify a transformer

Hi All:

I got an amp from a friend for repair and the power transformer primary is open. I found a thread with the schematic here:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32639/

but it doesn't identify the the secondary voltage or current rating. Anyone know or have an idea? I imagine anything close should do. This is a 120V model. Thanks in advance.

ET

Originally posted by eman View Post
    Hi All:

I got an amp from a friend for repair and the power transformer primary is open. I found a thread with the schematic here:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32639/

but it doesn't identify the the secondary voltage or current rating. Anyone know or have an idea? I imagine anything close should do. This is a 120V model. Thanks in advance.

ET
    If you read the thread that you referred to, there is a post from J M Fahey that lists the approximate specs for the secondary voltage.

"The LM3886 loaded with 4 ohms is happy with +/_ 28V DC rails, so you will need a 20+20VAC transformer, power/VA rating around 80 to 120 VA.
    Some catalogs show transformer physical size, so it should be another guide to get a similar one.
    Weight is also a guide."

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
      If you read the thread that you referred to, there is a post from J M Fahey that lists the approximate specs for the secondary voltage.

"The LM3886 loaded with 4 ohms is happy with +/_ 28V DC rails, so you will need a 20+20VAC transformer, power/VA rating around 80 to 120 VA.
      Some catalogs show transformer physical size, so it should be another guide to get a similar one.
      Weight is also a guide."
      Thanks, I was lazy and didn't read all the posts. What do you think of this Hammond at the link below?

Eman

165P25 Hammond Manufacturing | Mouser

Comment

Thanks, I was lazy and didn't read all the posts. What do you think of this Hammond at the link below?

Eman

165P25 Hammond Manufacturing | Mouser
        No, you need a secondary of 40-45 vct (20-0-20) to get the voltages you need.

Comment

right thanks.

ET

Comment

If you have a source let me know. Not having much luck.

ET

Comment

If you have a source let me know. Not having much luck.

ET
              Well, a quick check of Hammond's website shows model 166L42 maybe.

I suppose you could go as high as a 48vct secondary, which would be about +&-33.6 volts dc. Those will be easier to find.

Comment

Have you checked that the primary doesn't just have an open thermal fuse? If it does and you can get to it you can solder a pigtail fuse in its place for test. It's not something you want to do as a final shop fix, but I have equipment that has been running for years after doing the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                  Have you checked that the primary doesn't just have an open thermal fuse? If it does and you can get to it you can solder a pigtail fuse in its place for test. It's not something you want to do as a final shop fix, but I have equipment that has been running for years after doing the same thing.
                  Yes I did, still trying to find something not too expensive that will fit. I think I'll email the factory in China and see if they'll sell me the original one. Thanks for the reply.

Eman

Comment

Working...
                  X