To choke or not to choke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To choke or not to choke?

I was looking for a choke and saw some replacement chokes on ebay. Anyone here that has and experience with these 'cheap ones'? Further, do you folks use chokes at all in the filters or just a beefy resistor?

Cheers!
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

I like to build single-ended amps switchable to triode and I've found a choke to be indispensable for getting rid of hum. I would say if you're going SE its worth a try. I found that a resistor works pretty good for pentode, but triode really likes a choke.

Comment

For push pull, it's not that critical like SE power amp. For me, I designed both amps with power scaling, I decided to put the choke for the screen grid and PI stage that use the adjustable +B. I am not going to put two chokes, so I use a 2.2K and a 40uF to form a RC to filter the hum for the preamp fixed +B chain. Both work beautifully. Some Marshalls don't even use a single choke. So no, it is not necessary to have choke.

There are people saying they can hear some difference. I don't have a golden ears, I'll let those comment on the sound. I just judge by the hum. No hum=all good.

Comment

Working...
      X