My "head" was boring to look at!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "head" was boring to look at!

So I decided to kinda make my amp my own. I have a Crate GT3500H SchockWave 350 Watt head with matching 4x12 cab loaded with celestions. (SEVENTY-80's YES ONE OF THE WORST SOUNDING CELESTIONS ON THE MARKET BUT WHATEVER I ENJOY THEM AND IM POOR LOL). So i used to really like the head and the way it looked. i am a major newbie in the world of amps and ohms and peak power and all that jargin but i am slowly doing my research when the wife lets me and im starting to learn. i have always liked Crate AMPS and everyone dogs me for it but i honestly DONT CARE. i love the way it sounds. i want my own sound and i feel i get that with my solid state amp. all my buddies who have TUBES make fun of me and laugh but honestly im cool with that. soooo on to why i posted this thread. So i got bored looking at my head. it was the same thing nothing fancy every single day. So i looked at some cool amp head mods and custom stuff but no one really has done anything. i saw a few on youtube that had legos in them with some cool scenes but i wasnt interested in that. then i saw a HUGHES AND KETTNER amp. i researched what the glass they used was and how they got the words to light up like that. so i went out and spent literally $15 at lowes on a 20x32 inch piece of acrylic. a sheet of it. I then got my picture i wanted and i printed it and sized it properly. WHEN YOU PRINT YOU MUST PRINT IN REVERSE. PUT THE PICTURE UNDERNEATH THE ACRYLIC OR PLASTIC SHEET THAT YOU BUY AND TRACE IT WITH A PERMANENT MARKER. (it will erase with windex and paper towel when your done). THEN YOU ETCH IT WITH A DREMEL AND LITTLE METAL SHAFT LOOKING INSERT WITH LITTLE SLOTS OUT OF THE TOP. I WILL POST PICTURE. I then began to etch and the deeper you press, without breaking the damn sheet, the brighter the light will reflect off that letter or picture. I went over soft to kinda scrap away the marker lines then i went harder/deeper over top of my already done outline. boom I love the way it looks. i am no artist in any way as you can see but it was a ton of fun. JUST MAKE SURE YOU TAKE YOUR AMP APART AND MEASURE THE METAL OR WHATEVER FACIA/FRONT/GRILL YOU HAVE SO YOU DONT SCREW IT UP. my open area on my head was 28 1/8" by 5 1/2" i could have messed up twice and still had enough room on the acrylic sheet for another go a round. i luckily was able to cover up most of my screw ups. and also if you need to print in reverse then put your picture or word or outline in PAINT then just click rotate horizontally. any questions you guys may have if you want to try it out i will be happy to answer. also go to GOOGLE and search how to etch acrylic or plastic. you will have to figure out how thick you want your sheet to be as well. I AM NOT DONE WITH MINE YET. I STILL NEED TO BUY BLUE L.E.D. LIGHTS AND SET THOSE UP AS WELL AS DRILL HOLES INTO THE ACRYLIC AND CAREFULLY ATTACH TO MY HEAD. THEN PUT IT ALLLLL BACK TOGETHER. enjoy and have fun. i am a TERRIBLE artist and i am a very AMATURE line tracer lol and speller as you can tell by my post. but i had fun and the amp IS MY OWN AMP NOW. looks how i want it to look. ALSO YES I ETCHED A TRANSFORMER INTO MY AMP. MY AMP IS A CRATE "SHOCKWAVE". SHOCKWAVE AS WE ALL KNOW IS A DECEPTICON BUT I COULDNT TRACE HIS HEAD OR MAKE IT LOOK GOOD CAUSE I SUCK AT THIS CRAP SO I PICKED THE EASY DECEPTICON OUTLINE. TERRIBLE I KNOW BUT I LOVE IT.
    Attached Files

Click image for larger version

Name:	010 WANT MORE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	835895Click image for larger version

Name:	011 MY NAME.jpg
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	835896Click image for larger version

Name:	012 TRANSFORMER.jpg
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	835897Click image for larger version

Name:	013 DEEPER ETCH.jpg
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	835898Click image for larger version

Name:	014 QUALITY CHECK.jpg
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	835899Click image for larger version

Name:	015 QUALITY CHECK.jpg
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	835900Click image for larger version

Name:	016 QUALITY CHECK.jpg
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	835901Click image for larger version

Name:	017 FIT CHECK.jpg
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	835902Click image for larger version

Name:	018 LIGHT CHECK.jpg
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	835903

Comment

i ONLY USED A FLASHLIGHT TO DO THE LIGHT CHECK. WHEN I GET THE BLUE L.E.D. FROM AMAZON IN THE MAIL IT WILL BE BRIGHTER AND MORE EVEN WITH THE LIGHTS. THOSE PICTURES WILL COME WITHIN THE MONTH I HOPE. LETS GO CHINA SHIPPING!!!!!!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	019 LIGHT CHECK.jpg
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	835904Click image for larger version

Name:	020 LIGHT CHECK.jpg
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	835905

Comment

I actually really want one of those shockwave heads. Same preamp as an Ampeg VH140 - great for death metal / black metal / grindcore stuff. Plus the power to drive huge bass cabs. You should try that with a pair of 2x15s.

Comment

i really think they are cool.......keep working dude! you did a nice job!
          Effects:
          -Way Huge Swollen Pickle Jumbo Fuzz
          -Pro Co You Dirty Rat Distortion
          -MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Guitars:
          Yamaha SBG500
          Telecaster
          Randall RM100
          Abbey Harmonic II

Best Tube Overdrive Effects Pedals

Comment

Nice acrylic panel! Does ALL CAPS imply too much coffee?

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
              Nice acrylic panel! Does ALL CAPS imply too much coffee?
              I'm thinking hearing loss
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

AND IT STILL IS ! ! !

(put fingers-in-ears smiley thing here)

CALL US BACK WHEN YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE SHIFT KEY AND CAPS LOCK BUTTONS DO.

BTW IT'S OK TO LIKE TRANSISTORS, SUPREME COURT SAYS YOU CAN EVEN MARRY 'EM. TO EACH HIS (HERS, ITS) OWN, WHATEVER.

( Expect next edition of this Crate to have multicolor feathers, with propane-gas flame jet festoons. WHOOOPEEEEE ! ! ! ! ! )
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by TSkins03 View Post
                  ....... ONE OF THE WORST SOUNDING CELESTIONS ON THE MARKET........ IM POOR ....... i am a major newbie in the world '........ everyone dogs me ....... i honestly DONT CARE......... all my buddies who have TUBES make fun of me and laugh ........ i got bored looking at my head....... i wasnt interested in that......... i am no artist in any way as you can see ...... I AM NOT DONE WITH MINE YET....... i am a TERRIBLE artist ...... SHOCKWAVE AS WE ALL KNOW IS A DECEPTICON ..... I SUCK AT THIS CRAP .......TERRIBLE I KNOW .....
                  You know, there is a cure for major Depression.

Naaahhhh !!! Just kidding, your amp now looks cool

And please don't self-deprecate here, this is not My Les Paul or Harmony Central or some other "snob noob" Forum.

We like Crate amps here.

We used to have a resident Crate hater but I guess he got tired of having his cr*p bashed at every day and left.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

really...man...it looks cool...don't underestimate ur work..they are awesome...work on!
                    sorry...

Comment

Working...
                    X