No announcement yet.

Randall RH150 constant hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My best guess is that you are missing a ground somewhere. Since the amp was dropped, check the board(s) thoroughly for cracks. Particularly where there are mounting screws for the board or any other point that would be stressed in a drop. Check for broken pots and pot mounting, broken jacks and jack mounting, etc. It only takes one hairline crack to cause problems and they can be hard to see. Use a meter to check continuity on ground traces if necessary.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

So, after looking for bad grounds a made a really stupid mistake. Long story short, I'll be replacing 2 transistors... But when I was checking the transistors, I noticed something on one of te traces on the board. It looks like someone scraped it with a screwdriver and severed the trace completely. I don't have a schematic so I'm not sure exactly what that circuit does but I can imagine it would cause a problem - hopefully my hum problem. It's between C21 and C15 on the output board. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	716.3 KB
ID:	837783

Comment

That looks like a deliberate cut to me. There may have been an error in the board layout that was corrected this way.
        Be absolutely sure with the schematic before making any connection.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

That appears to be a factory cut in that copper trace. (because it is so nice?)
          I would be real careful about reconnecting it without first figuring out why.

Have you attempted to contact Randall. (for a schematic & possibly an answer to the cut trace.)

Comment

Yeah, I suppose it's time I get a schematic from Randall. I'll contact them. On a side note, found this particularly interesting. It looks like Bruce Egnater had a hand on this board.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	837786

Comment

Originally posted by Ceredox View Post
              It looks like Bruce Egnater had a hand on this board.
              Oh sh#t.
              Now the power transformer is going to fail.

Comment

Good one .
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Haha I use an Egnater Armageddon! Should I be worried for my power trabsformer?!

Comment

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...former+problem
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

OHHH. Very good to know. Maybe I'll be making a transformer upgrade soon.

Comment

Hi bros
                        i´m new in this forum
                        does anyone have the randall rh 150 schematic diagram
                        greeting

Comment

Here is the RH200.

Maybe it is close enough.

RH200-.zip

Comment

Working...
                          X