Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this mod in my 1972 Princeton Reverb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this mod in my 1972 Princeton Reverb?

Hello.

I just picked up a 1972 Princeton Reverb yesterday, and today I'm poking around inside just to check on things. It seems to be mostly original, except for this this one out of place cap, which I assume is a mod? Maybe?

A photo is attached, but I'll try to describe it: There's a 22uf/50v cap running from pin 3 of V4 to the ground lug on the vibrato pedal jack. It doesn't look original to me, and I'm not sure what its function could be.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Files

Nothing to worry about. That cap's in parallel with V4's cathode resistor, part of the vibrato oscillator circuit. At some point Fender started wiring them this way rather than put 'em on the circus board, and yours looks like a replacement for the original part which was probably a white Mallory cap.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

It looks like the cathode bypass cap has been replaced http://bmamps.com/Schematics/fender/..._bf_AB1270.pdf
      If it's the only non-original ecap, then perhaps the original failed?
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Layout looks a little off. Hard to be sure without more board to look at. That cap is probably a "repair" done by someone troubleshooting the tremolo. Perhaps trying to solve for ticking. Looking at the eyelet for that tube pin I can just make out where someone may have snipped out the old cap and there's only one component lead leaving the eyelet when there should be two. A resistor and a cap in parallel to another eyelet that is grounded. the cap would have been very much like the one oddly placed in your amp. In t's current installation it's serving the same function electrically. So, not a tone mod. Perhaps a function mod or just a weird repair.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          Nothing to worry about. That cap's in parallel with V4's cathode resistor, part of the vibrato oscillator circuit. At some point Fender started wiring them this way rather than put 'em on the circus board, and yours looks like a replacement for the original part which was probably a white Mallory cap.
          I'm with Leo. I agree that his explanation is spot on. Attached is a photo of the original Fender cap placement circa the early 1970's.
          Tom
          Attached Files

Comment

I've seen several of those in SF amps I've worked on.
            --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

These princeton reverb pictures are giving me G.A.S.!

Comment

Working...
              X