Carvin MTS 3200/3212 Combo tube amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin MTS 3200/3212 Combo tube amp

I am seeking some technical advice about my newly acquired Carvin MTS 3200 2x12 combo amp.

I am running the amp in the 50 watt mode. To my understanding this essentially takes two of the power
    tubes out of the circuit.
    I'd like to remove the two tubes that are not in use and store them in safe keeping.
    Is this possible?
    If so which two tubes would I pull? All four still glow as though powered up even in 50 watt mode?

I will attach a link to the schematic in the hopes that it will show which tubes are not used in 50 watt mode.

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/pdf/amps/MTS3200REV-E.pdf

Thanks in advance,
    JKW

According to the schematic, V6 and V9 are switched out for 50W mode (presumably the outside two), so those are the two you would pull. I see no reason you couldn't remove them. The cathodes are disconnected in 50W mode, so they are not doing anything anyway.
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-22-2016, 10:26 PM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thank you... As you can see, I can't read schematics, but intend to correct that.

I do appreciate your advice.

JKW

Comment

Since I got such good info from "The Dude" I thought I'd hijack my own thread...

I'm teaching myself to read schematics, and as I read this one it appears to me that the preamp
        tube V3 would be the one that affects the clean channel...
        This amp has a great clean channel but I have several different 12A** tubes I'd like to swap in and
        out to see how they sound.

Am I correct in reading that the tube position V3 is for the clean channel?

JKW

Comment

1/2 of V3 is in the clean channel path. The other half is just ahead of the PI and just in from the effects return, so changing that tube will have some effect on both clean and dirty. That said, it won't hurt to try a different 12A*7 tube. It might yield the results you are looking for. If you like the clean channel as is, I'm not sure why you'd want to mess with it. Is there some tonal/gain thing you're trying to change?
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I am happy with the clean channel, but the preamp section has Sovtek 12AX7 which is typically a pretty bland sounding tube.
            I have General Electric, Electro Harmonix and Ruby 12AX7 and 12AT7 on hand and I thought they might be more musical.

The way I run my rig is to use only the clean channel on the amp and pedals for overdrive, so optimizing
            the tone on the clean channel is my priority.

If I didn't have these other tubes on hand I would leave well enough alone, but since it costs me nothing
            to experiment, I figured I'd test it out.

So in the end I take it that if I want to do this experiment that V3 is the main influence on the clean channel?

P.S.
            I did pull V6 & V9 in the 50 watt mode and the amp checked out and ran fine. (You were right!)

JKW

Comment

Working...
            X