toning down a mic - adding cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toning down a mic - adding cap

After listening to last gig's recording, I realize the eBay specials that I cab-mounted have too many highs. I'm considering adding a cap across pins 2 and 3 to slope out highs above 5K or so. It's an electric guitar cab.
    Any suggestions for a value before I jump in? Maybe changing the mic placement would help
    Attached Files

Changing the mic position away from the high-frequency dispersion units will definitely help. Try that first.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

The closer the mic is to the center, the more highs you will have (maximum phase cancellation). The closer to the edge, the more bass. Experiment with mic position first. Different strokes for different folks and I'm not saying my way is right, but I never mic a speaker dead center.

Edit: Speaking of phase cancellation. You have 2 speakers and 2 mics- stereo rig? Make sure the mics (and everything else for that matter) are in phase with each other and that something isn't miswired. 2 of the same signals out of phase would definitely be a low end killer.
      Last edited by The Dude; 12-23-2016, 03:28 AM.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'm not sure what your recording chain is, but if you are multi-tracking then you can also add the room EQ and reverb back in, artificially, after the fact. If you are mixing straight to master, then the close-mic'ing will sound somewhat unnatural regardless of how you capture the sound, lacking ambience.
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I'm no spert on the matter, but... Most of what I've read about some better recordings, when it's mentioned, implicates edge mic placement as at least part of the formula. In my own experience I have usually recorded with 1x12 cabs or combos. So I never have two speakers to work with. Mic placement is NEVER centered. Usually I'm one to two inches from edge and either perpendicular to the grill or angled a little toward the center. And usually there's another mic somewhere in the room for ambient. Blending them later for best results.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
          X