Power Amps - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Amps - Opinions?

I just bought a Hafler T2 tube preamp. I currently have a solid state power amp in my rack.

I an curious to which is better for a tube preamp, tube power amp or solid state power amp? Is there a sound difference?

Thanks for any opinions.

I'd say a tube power amp for sure. It makes everything sound that bit "fatter" and more lively. The only reason to use solid-state, IMO, is if you find a tube amp too expensive, or too big and heavy to lug.

However, solid-state amps with current feedback, like the unit Rocktron used to make, can sound a bit closer to a tube amp.

Peavey used to make a few tube power amps in the stereo rackmount format, besides the more famous Marshall and Mesa units. Rack systems aren't cool any more, but this might even help finding a used bargain.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

PV's Classic 50/50 is a dual 50 watt power amp in a rack. It is basically the power amp from their Classic 50 amp. FOur EL84 per channel. it is actually a pretty cool unit. Then they also made the Classic 60/60, a dual 2-6L6 power amp. They also made tube power amps in mono - CLassic 60, Classic 120, I forget what all. You can still find them
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Peavey's tube power amps.

Comment

Working...
        X