Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chassis question - holes

I'm reworking an old organ amp into a bassman clone, it came like this:

But some of the sockets and a transformer I don't need, so I've removed them. So there's a lot of holes in my chassis (the transformer left a 3"x4" rectangular hole). I want these sealed up with something conductive for shielding purposes, right? Or does it even matter what with the tubes sticking out of the chassis anyways?

If I should fill up the holes, what should I use? Can you solder sheet metal to steel?
    Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

For round holes such as from tube sockets, look up "hole plugs" at Mouser or other electronic hardware seller. Here is a data sheet from one supplier:

http://www.keyelco.com/pdfs/p85.pdf

Electrically the hole plugs are irrelevant, but they add to safety and appearance.

As to covering large square holes, no need to weld or solder, just cut a piece of sheet metal to fit andf drill some holes throug it and the chassis. Or line them up with existing chassis screw holes. Now either screw down th plate or mount the plate with pop rivets.

Again, it adds to safety and maybe cosmetics, the electrical benefit would be debatable.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
    X