Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soldano_slo100.pdf

Are the schematics not coming through?

I’m not planning on doing anything at all until I have a few more answers and a better understanding of the way to power the circut.

thanks for correcting me, I meant to say resistors, that makes more sense.

I know to unplug and clear the voltages off the filter caps when working on the amp and keeping metals off your body and working on non conductive surfaces. That’s also one of the reasons I’m asking about if I will have to rework the amp to give more voltage to run a newly adjusted amplifier.

Comment

soldano_slo100.pdf

These are the schematics:

Comment

As has been stated before thats probably a little complex for a first tube build
        Start with a champ or a tweed deluxe, get some chops then move up to a harder more complex amp.
        I understand its not the answer you wanted to hear but let say you wanted to build a car would you choose to build a Ferrari cause thats what you always wanted? or choose a simpler car to build?
        The reasoning behind this is a first time will not have the skills to have a sucessful run then the project never gets finished.
        What I did was salvage organs some tube some Solid state and got some free components to pla with. First I built a champ played with it a bit it was cool then sold it. Then I built a Gibson clone of the champ and then a tweed deluxe all point to point no circuit boards. in the process I started to understand the schematic a little more with each build.
        Walk then run.
        But back to the question at hand. You would choose a transformer that has an extra tap to supply the voltage your looking for.
        nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

... I want to put the eq at the fx loop, and possibly a pcb distortion circut as well ...

... what do I have to do to power it? ...

... what if I want to add another circut as well in the amp that also runs on 18v of electricity so now I have 2 new circuts? ...
          To get started, first make soldano_slo100.pdf and then look for the answers here.
          It's All Over Now

Comment

Do I run a line off the b+ with a resistor voltage drop to power them? I get your trying to coax me into the correct direction, am I getting closer?

will this cause me to need to change the ploverall voltage of the amplifier?

If I run a line off the b+ Will there be enough energy to run the rest of the amp?

Comment

So I would have to find an transformer with another tap, and if it is a certain voltage I would have to drop the voltage on that tap to power that circut? After I power one circut can I just run a line from the end of where the first circut was powered to power the next circut?

thank you for the words of wisdom. Even if I don’t build this amp, I’d at least like to have the knowledge of what to do. Building an easier amp doesn’t explain how to add circuts onto an existing amplifier. I do understand that building from the ground up you’d have to make sure that there is enough voltage to run everything in the amp and partition it all off in correct voltage to power everything based on ohms law and what the overall output and wattage and speaker size your trying to drive is. I just need to get some of these questions clarified!

Comment

So let’s say something like this transformer, I would use the extra 6 volt line off the end to power that section, I would use ohms law to get the voltage up to let’s say 20 volts to power that section? I would get it to a higher voltage and run it through capacitors to clean the current and then use that current to power the line correct? Would I use a resistor to amplify the voltage?

Comment

Well you could drop it into a voltage regulator and get a regulated voltage based on the VR chip you chose. If the transformer has enough amperage for that tap you could . probably 2 or 3 amp tap would cover more than you might need.
                  One thing that becomes critical when adding circuits is lead dress which can create issues for you or address and issue. Lead dress done well cannot be overlooked.

nosaj

just a little fyi I am not a perfectionist and I tend to find perfectionists(in my personal experience) never get stuff completed. I am one who jumps in with what I have and and learn along the way as I make mistakes. Experience is just a bunch of mistakes you have learned from.

Comment

Would I have to get a transformer with an extra tap? If it has an extra 6 volt tap I could use That correct?I would have to raise the voltage from the tap through a transistor I’m guessing and smooth it with a few capacitors to over 20 volts and then partition that 20 volt line into two seperate lines going to each section that I’ve added to the amp in series with the fx loop right?

Comment

Originally posted by Shrimpfarmer89 View Post
                      So let’s say something like this transformer, I would use the extra 6 volt line off the end to power that section, I would use ohms law to get the voltage up to let’s say 20 volts to power that section? I would get it to a higher voltage and run it through capacitors to clean the current and then use that current to power the line correct? Would I use a resistor to amplify the voltage?
                      Thats not an efficient way to do it as you'd have to have a voltage doubler to the circuit. Problably one with a bias tap of 50 volts or so.
                      nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by Shrimpfarmer89 View Post
                        Before Nosaj or I give you any more potentially lethal advice can you please answer these questions. If you don't know, then please stop and learn. As Nosaj said, start simple.
                        1. What does the 5v tap do on your PT?
                        2. Does your circuit use it?
                        3. If not, why not?
                        4. What does the 6.3v tap do on your PT?
                        5. Does your circuit use it?
                        6. If not, why not?
                        7. Does your 6.3 v wind use a CT? If so, what is it for?
                        8. If your 6.3 wind doesn't have a CT, what else can you do to stop that horrendous hum?
                        9. I am not even going to address the challenge of getting 20VDC from 5 or 6.3VAC.
                        I think I will sleep better at night knowing that I haven't contributed to your premature passing. I'm out. Good luck

Comment

This is going to get very confusing with 2 threads running on the very same topic. nosaj can you merge this one with the other?
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

What do you mean lead dress?

so I would use a voltage regulator to get the amperidge out of the tap on the transistor?

I searched how many amps are in 6 volts and there were a few answers that popped up saying that there are 2-3 amps in 6 volts but that’s still pretty dinky.

so use a regulator to beef the 6 volts into a useable 20volt line off the tap and regulator/transistor to power the circuts? And probably throw a capacitor in there for dc smoothing?

I agree, it’s better to try things out, but I do need to have some sort of baseline to have a sort of map to follow. I appreciate the help so far.

Comment

Please get a book to read here is a good start . You are way behind on theory and understanding. Some reading may well help you get there.
                              I am not a designer nor do I play one on TV. but I do like to get my hands dirty and I bought lots of books and used the goodwill of the people here and I still learn new stuff everyday.
                              nosaj
                              <p><a href="https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Modifying-Custom-Building-Guitar/dp/0969860803/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=v4Kte&pf_rd_p=07442e57-5bbc-4b36-bdb2-92a549250cee&pf_rd_r=JDR1FZV6S6F51TPNBGVN&pd_rd_r=78080dad-32f1-41fc-b83e-988367c66c56&pd_rd_wg=zqETv&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_h

Comment

... I get your trying to coax me into the correct direction ...
                                I understand you, do you understand the other side?

Question

- If you have carefully studied the schematics (by the way it's an 8-page in pdf), you would notice that there are more b+ (b2, b3, b4) on page 1, so it is unclear what you mean by b+
                                - Where you intend to run a line the b+ on your schemaic?
                                - If you connect all b+ (b2, b3, b4) to one point, there will not be enough filtration, the amplifier will hum and most likely go wild (oscillating)
                                - Don't worry about enough power (energy) for preamp, because the PT is designed to power the entire amp with 4 x 6L6GC.
                                - Have you read pdf pages from 5 to 8 on your schematic?
                                It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                                X