Marshall JMP 100W blows fuses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JMP 100W blows fuses.

I am a tech but this is blowing my mind , this marshall was blowing a mains fuse randomly about once a week , I pulled the tubes - no change , pulled the stby fuse - still blows , replaced all filter caps - still blows , replaced diodes - still blows , but now its blowing instantly as soon as the stby goes on and the only thing connected is the new diodes ( on a tag strip incase it was the board) surely the transformer can't be at fault ? HELP !!

Got a model number?

Make and USE a light bulb limiter, stop blowing fuses.

Photo of your tag strip.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo , its from 1975 and model is 8086 , cct board says ST1, its a 100W super lead 2 . Im trying to find a suitable bulb for limiter . I can't work out how to post a pic ( over 60) but each ac line from standby has an anode going to + , and a cathode going to ground , centre tap not connected right now .

Comment

Your description sounds backwards from here. Anode is the triangle side of a diode, cathode is the line end.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Not sure about the 8086, but this might be it? https://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/1959mk2u.gif
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes that's the schematic , its a Mk 2 SLA . Hard to describe diodes , but they're right . Turns out one of the new filter caps was a dead short . Ill try to get it going today and let you know . Thanks very much .

Comment

I was gonna say : maybe a diode but I saw you replaced them already.

Comment

You have to work from a no load situation and varify the tranformer will operate without a load and all the voltages are correct and the primary isn't shorted. Then start connecting components 1 by 1 starting with the bridge rectifier and moving downstream to preamp tubes to power tubes. Imo sounds like a wiring proble or component in the wrong place. Just an FYI but I only use F&T HV caps and have never found one shorted or bad since I've been using them.
                KB

Comment

Is the main voltage selector set to the correct voltage.
                  Is the main fuse of the appropriate value and slow blow type.
                  It's All Over Now

Comment

Do not connect the HT winding’s CT to chassis 0V, as bad things will happen. It sits at half the HT VDC, thereby balancing the voltage across the two reservoir caps.
                    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

After installing new JJ filter caps , one of them was a dead short , This took out a diode in the bridge and also , as it was in series with its mate , caused it to boil and blow . This happened while using a current limiter . I replaced the diode and caps and its back in service now , thanks everyone .

Comment

Working...
                      X