X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogie gets owned by Gibson

https://www.gibson.com/News/Gibson-and-Mesa-Boogie
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Ohhhh, boy... A lot of devilish things going on today. Nice mentions they gave to Randall Smith. Not a peep about Chief Engineer Mike Bendinelli, the real boffin at Mesa.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I think Randy went to the Crossroads at midnight to come up with the designs and layouts that can send repairers to a lifetime of counselling with self-esteem issues. I'd like the name of one musician who, during a heart-wrenching solo, says to himself "I could express myself so much better if I could switch to a tube rectifier in the second part of my solo". Some of the designs are bonkers and unnecessary. The more bonkers the amp, the more they sound like pissed off bees in a carboard box.
      And now its run by a company that put mechanised tuners on a Les Paul.
      Gee. What can possibly go wrong here? Where's the first point of cost-savings to be made?

Comment

I get a kick out of the metal players that always use the SS rectifier setting because they don't like sag- then brag about owning a triple rectifier. Most have no idea what it even means. 3 must be better, right?
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          I get a kick out of the metal players that always use the SS rectifier setting because they don't like sag- then brag about owning a triple rectifier. Most have no idea what it even means. 3 must be better, right?
          What's even better is when their rectifier tubes fail, fuses blow, I tell 'em "you don't even use the tube rectifiers, save money, save hassle, just leave 'em out." To which they invariably reply "OHHH NOOOO! The amp wouldn't sound right if they were missing!" OK then Guitar Johnny, that'll be $75 plus tax for your trio of big bulbous Chinese low-reliability 5U4's, plus my labor. Geeze... I know, take the money and smile!

Generally they play with the master volume set low so the amp never really does approach clip, therefore sag wouldn't be much of an issue anyway. Can't bother the neighbors ya know.

What I figured out about the dynamic between Randy Smith and Mike Bendinelli is, they're old friends from the Prune Music days all right. But in the last 4 decades or so, Randy thinks up stuff and Mike has to work out how to do it, no matter how unnecessarily complex or harebrained. I hope Mike's made a good living at it. We had a confab some years back, he was dreading the release of their new-at-the-time Mark V: "would you believe, 47 double pole, double throw relays? Sheesh!" Yeh and what happens if you have to replace one? Or even troubleshoot? Total nightmare.

With Gibson in charge, I fear for availability of schematics, advice, parts. Expect little to no support for vintage equipment. I'm guessing this is essentially a retirement move for Randy. Grab a couple million bucks, and continue to receive a handsome stipend as "consultant."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
            Randy thinks up stuff and Mike has to work out how to do it, no matter how unnecessarily complex or harebrained.
            Yep. That's what I'm thinking, Leo. One of my 2021 resolutions is to redirect any Double and Triple Rectifier amps back to the Australian Distributor. They're a black hole and I always lose money on these amps. Have I bitched about Marshall 410's yet? Also banned.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
              But in the last 4 decades or so, Randy thinks up stuff and Mike has to work out how to do it, no matter how unnecessarily complex or harebrained."
              I have a relative who builds amps and he was in partnership with a guy who was more marketing-based. The same thing - the partner thought up with ideas for unusual control panel descriptions/functions in addition to the regular volume and tone controls, and my relative had to work out what they would actually do electronically and sound-wise. In the end the amps received Guitarist Magazine Gold awards so the underlying designs worked out OK in the final builds, but this arrangement wasn't sustainable.

Comment

It's a tragedy we won't be able to call Mesa support and talk to Mike.
                --
                I build and repair guitar amps
                http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
                  It's a tragedy we won't be able to call Mesa support and talk to Mike.
                  Who knows? I have a feeling Mesa's not about to move to Nashville. OTOH good ol' Mike is easily at retirement age, could go off the air most any time. He's certainly helped me out. Not often, every couple years when I get stuck with something beyond my knowledge. He certainly knows the Mesa gear inside out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    Amen, brother.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ec0.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	922055
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post

Amen, brother.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ec0.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	922055
                      HA!
                      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

One of those is supposed to be in the back for slow dancin'.
                        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I think it was a good deal

Comment

Cool to see Cameron Poe of Con Air heading up Gibson. You never know where your path may lead. techzpod stream free movies

Comment

Originally posted by virazop View Post
                              Cool to see Cameron Poe of Con Air heading up Gibson. You never know where your path may lead.
                              On any other day that might seem strange.

Comment

Working...
                              X