Transformer ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformer ID

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this.

Anyone have any idea what this transformer might be out of? It came from a guitar player, but he does not remember what it came out of.

Numbers on the label,
    T542818

First number I assume to be part number and second number manufacture and date.
    Second number, 1052 Pacific transformer 0135, 35th week 2001?
    I did contact Pacific Transformer and the person I spoke to said they have no record of it by the part number but the 1052 should be them.

Other searches only brought up a few other forums where people mentioned possibly Fender or Ampeg.

It measures 3” long x 1” wide iron core, 2 ¾” wide bell to bell 3 ½” bolt center.

Looks like red, blue brown primary, black, green yellow secondary.

J
    Attached Files
    It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/output-transformer-code-question-help.1943331/
    I have an OT taken out of 60's Ampeg RR II, and is labeled T542818 and 10520135.
    https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/amplification/guitar-amps/theory-design/48224-transformers?t=47024
    Transformers
    It's All Over Now

Comment

Doesn't look 60's era. Maybe a reissue Ampeg. 25-35w, you can figure out the impedance.

Comment

If the RED, BLU, BRN wires are primary, I'd guess maybe wired for 100VAC, 120VAC. Easy to find the outside pair, then see what the other wire is. If a 100V tap, then there'd be small resistance between that tap and one of the outside windings, with larger resistance between it and the other outside windings. If the other wires are a lower voltage centertap, the largest resistance would be the outside windings, and should have similar lower resistances between the assumed C/T to either outside windings. From those findings, you could then try driving it with an oscillator, or an oscillator feeding a power amp, so there'd be more current do drive the xfmr. Assuming this is a step-down power xfmr, if you drove the assumed primary with 12VAC, you could then see what the secondary voltages are, it being a 10:1 scaled down voltage of what you'd see if this IS a power transformer.

Of course, this could be a small output xfmr, so the primary would be higher resistance, and the other be the secondary, say 8 and 16 ohms? Also, once primary and secondary are identified, if it's an output xfmr, it would have wide bandwidth, whereas a power xfmr wouldn't.

I just looked at the label on the Pacific Transformer power xfmr I have in the BGW 350A power amp chassis, to see if that 1052 number was on their label. It wasn't. They did spell their name out and their phone number. I don't have the current mfgr code book, which I recall being 5-digit number for the Federal Mfgrs Code list, as one would find in the back of General Radio test gear.
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

[QUOTE=vintagekiki;n938353]https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/output-transformer-code-question-help.1943331/

Gota love it, if I had to guess, the OP in the above link is more than likely who I got it from from.

I could do some testing on it down the road. Just thought I would give it a shot on here to see if anyone had any idea.

Right now I am not doing to much in the way of work or playing due to some nasty bumps in the road this year I have to get over.

J
          It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

Comment

Brown red blue screams primary for an output transformer, not a power transformer. And the secondaries of black green and yellow are very common for the speaker windings.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Brown red blue screams primary for an output transformer, not a power transformer. And the secondaries of black green and yellow are very common for the speaker windings.
              ^
              Agree.

Comment

Originally posted by J Luth
                Looks like red, blue brown primary, black, green yellow secondary.
                Ampeg OT with three wires
                Click image for larger version  Name:	ampeg-b-25-schematic1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	474.3 KB ID:	938390

1)
                Fender OT in the secondary usually have 2 or 4 wires.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	OT2.GIF Views:	0 Size:	5.4 KB ID:	938391 Click image for larger version  Name:	OT4.gif Views:	0 Size:	54.9 KB ID:	938392
                2)
                Fender OT with three wires in the secondary has different wire colors (blk/ grn-yel/ grn)
                Click image for larger version  Name:	OT3.gif Views:	0 Size:	31.0 KB ID:	938393
                Last edited by vintagekiki; 08-06-2021, 10:25 AM. Reason: 2)
                It's All Over Now

Comment

Yes, i said it's a output transformer, go by size to estimate wattage and you can figure out the impedance easy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz
                    ...go by size to estimate wattage and you can figure out the impedance easy enough.
                    Please help us
                    click #1
                    It measures 3” long x 1” wide iron core, 2 ¾” wide bell to bell 3 ½” bolt center.

It's All Over Now

Comment

It measures 3” long x 1” wide iron core,
                      That suggests a ~35W OT.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I have one of those transformers. It is an output transformer that was sold by Allen Amplifiers in the early 2000's. It was manufactured by TMI Transformers to David Allen's specs.
                        It's basically the same output transformer found in 35W Fender type amps that use two 6L6 output tubes like the Vibrolux Reverb, Bandmaster Reverb, and Vibroverb (125A6A, 022848, 125A7A, etc.)
                        The dimensions and mounting holes match the output transformers found in those Fender amps too.
                        It has 4 ohm (green wire) and 8 ohm (yellow wire) taps on the secondary which make it very versatile.
                        Other wire colors are the same as you find on the Fender output transformers (red wire is CT on the primary side and the blue and brown wires are the typical primary side wires, black is the common secondary side wire).

Comment

Working...
                        X