Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate gx-1200h

Hi guys
    While im tearing apart my vox....got a question about a crate gx-1200h i picked uo cheep.
    It says that the speaker out can work into a load as small as 4 ohms, yet it is rated at 70 watts in 8 ohms and 100 watts into 4 ohms.

I know tube amps need to impedence match but can solid state amps output into anything 4 ohms or higher??
    This was a no-no in my day
    thanks for any info
    Clay

and yes my avatar is a 1959 gretsch chet atkins country gentleman, 1 owner since 59....me...lol
    later ace i got to go

It was never a no no. SOlid state amps put out a signal voltage, and the load draws the current it needs. The lower the impedance, the higher the current for a given voltage out. SO if an 8 ohm speaker draws 25 watts from an amp, leaving all the controls alone, if you swap a 4 ohm speaker into it, then the amp will produce 50 watts.

There will always be a limit to the current the thing can source for your load, and that translates into a minimum load impedance. If you go below that, then the amp will overheat, possibly burn up, go into shutdown, whatever - nothing good. But any higher impedance load will simple draw less current and the amp is happy as a clam.

In a practical world, the direct proportion won't extend to the limits, so instead of a 140 watt rating at 4 ohms, it is derated to 100.

If you leave the load off a solid state amp and crank it to the max, it will produce no output power. it will still use some power from the mains, but until there is a load, no output. Unlike a tube amp, it is perfectly OK to run it loadless, something we do on the bench all the time.

YOu may safely operate this amp into any load from 4 ohms up to an open circuit.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks Enzo
      In my day we only had tubes until i think 1960 when i built my first and only solid state guitar amp.
      Never knew that it would work into different loads, As you say, tubes dont like mis-matched impedence.
      well, back to the vox tear down...lol
      thanks again
      I love this site

Comment

Working...
      X