Can't get this speaker to work properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Greg - one more question.
    I have similar, not exactly like this, but similar supply to that I posted. It seems it has stable output voltage that depends on input. I
    n this pictued case would be 175VAC = will result 63VCD and 265AV = 80V in the end. That's how it works.

And isn't it ampere rating a maximum that it can supply? (so, like any other power supply for a guitar effect etc - e.g. delay pedals that sometimes draw 10mA but sometimes 100mA)

Comment

Originally posted by boroman View Post
      Thanks Greg - one more question.
      I have similar, not exactly like this, but similar supply to that I posted. It seems it has stable output voltage that depends on input. I
      n this pictued case would be 175VAC = will result 63VCD and 265AV = 80V in the end. That's how it works.)
      Without more info (ie a datasheet) I couldn't tell you for certain, but it sounds like you're describing something very similar and equally inappropriate for this application. If it's an LED driver it's almost certainly inappropriate for the same reasons I described earlier.
      I'd double-check (Carefully! Remember what I mentioned earlier - this type of supply is not normally galvanically isolated and presents significant shock/electrocution risk!) your observations (175VAC in = 63VDC out/265VAC in = 80VDC out), as they don't make sense at face value, and I suspect a measurement error.

Originally posted by boroman View Post
      And isn't it ampere rating a maximum that it can supply? (so, like any other power supply for a guitar effect etc - e.g. delay pedals that sometimes draw 10mA but sometimes 100mA)
      That's the case for constant voltage power supplies, and most every-day power supplies are constant voltage, but for non-linear loads like LED's, a constant current supply is more suitable.
      Most power sources we are taught about and familiar with are constant voltage - batteries, mains voltage (120VAC/230VAC etc), AC adapters, USB supplies etc. At a most basic level, the familiar constant voltage supplies keep their output voltage steady, and only deliver the current the load draws. Constant current supplies however keep their current output steady, and deliver whatever voltage is required into the load to satisfy Ohm's law. The details are more complicated than this simple explanation, but suffice it to say you can't normally substitute one for the other, nor would you want to.

Comment

Greg Robinson Thanks a lot! Another lesson learned!

Comment

Working...
        X