Question on SVT CL "grind"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on SVT CL "grind"

I've got an SVT CL that I did some repair on the power section. It sounds fine, but I really don't get any of the famous SVT breakup, maybe a bit if I have the gain dimed and pluck really hard. If I boost the signal into the front end with a pedal it breaks up nicely. This is with passive basses and the master down fairly low as I don't have a place to really open it up.

So my question is 1.) Does the breakup in an SVT CL happen before the master volume or is it full chain? I've seen both answers given on various forums. 2.) Would trying different preamp tubes (hotter) potential help in this regard.

Here is the schematic for the preamp, as it seems surprisingly hard to find the right one for this amp.

Attached Files

Just curious. Your schematic is 519-12. The one I see all the time is 519-11 I spot a C26 has a different value. But without me getting cross-eyed, what sort of differences are there?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Just curious. Your schematic is 519-12. The one I see all the time is 519-11 I spot a C26 has a different value. But without me getting cross-eyed, what sort of differences are there?
      Based on year mine probably is 519-11 (It is currently all buttoned up so not going to open it up if I don't have to). I was just having trouble finding any schematic that was for a CL. Kept seeing schems with 12DW7 tubes. Searching by the drawing number helped a lot. Here is schematic set that has both revisions for the CL.

Attached Files

Comment

Cool, I didn't have your newer file, but the SVT-CL I never thought of as rare drawings.

SVT CL was the SLM product. The 12DW7s are in the old original SVT Your file looks mostly complete, I do not see the AAC board, so here that is for you. I have been having hard luck lately uploading for some reason, so... 31904p1_AC board.pdf
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
          I've got an SVT CL that I did some repair on the power section. It sounds fine, but I really don't get any of the famous SVT breakup, maybe a bit if I have the gain dimed and pluck really hard. If I boost the signal into the front end with a pedal it breaks up nicely. This is with passive basses and the master down fairly low as I don't have a place to really open it up.

So my question is 1.) Does the breakup in an SVT CL happen before the master volume or is it full chain? I've seen both answers given on various forums. 2.) Would trying different preamp tubes (hotter) potential help in this regard.

Here is the schematic for the preamp, as it seems surprisingly hard to find the right one for this amp.
          It appears when playing LOUD, period, at stage levels fighting a couple 100W Marshalls and a drummer which uses baseball bats as sticks.
          Hint: itīs plain overdrive clipping, only difference is boosting mids with that active control increases some kind of nasal sounding clipping, think using a wah pedal halfway (actually quite similar if you compare circuits).

Good and useful because it makes Bass cut through stage noise, a no mids Bass may sound killer 3 meters away but disappears in the mix.

Master volume has no place in that amp, the real ones donīt have any.

As a side note: if it says "Classic" on a label, then it is not.

Same with the much abused word "vintage" and many others.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
          X