Ampflation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampflation

Dang, just found out street price on a new Fender Hot Rod Deville is $1200. These were supposed to be the working man's amps! I stopped buying and selling (aka hoarding) amps like this, but I have to hope that this somehow increases the values on all my other crap.

They work out at $1380 here in the UK. I haven't checked the used price lately, but most of my customers were paying a third of that or less for a decent amp up until Covid struck.

Comment

Even if the tube prices have doubled (exaggerated guess) to the amp manufacturers, I don't think it should have that much impact on the price.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

supply an demand in simple terms. I'm sure people used their Covid money to buy toys.
        nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

The dollar is only worth 50 cents . $4 gas is $2 . $15 /hr is$7.50 so that $1200 is only a reasonable $600 .

Comment

Originally posted by 35L6 View Post
            The dollar is only worth 50 cents . $4 gas is $2 . $15 /hr is$7.50 so that $1200 is only a reasonable $600 .
            That would be fine and accountable to "inflation" if there were any analogies in wages. Well, maybe there are but they certainly haven't presented in the service industries yet. So how is a working man supposed to buy an amp? I think this is the question being proposed.?.

At the same time if you look at Fender pricing for amps in the early era they were considerably MORE expensive. Then again, they were hand made at that time. Somehow the demographic that needed/wanted them managed to pony up. Otherwise Fender would not have grown into an empire. Those same people in todays demographic still need amps. And the Fender HR's are good ones with a successful reputation. Business as usual.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

well if your not too snobby there have always been an abundance of Crates and Peaveys. A good workingman could make anything sound good. After all its the soul in the fingers.
              nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                well if your not too snobby there have always been an abundance of Crates and Peaveys. A good workingman could make anything sound good. After all its the soul in the fingers.
                nosaj
                Yes. Absolutely! I was just pointing out that even in the early years when Fender amps were proportionately more expensive people recognized their outstanding qualities and managed to step up for it. Since the HR series amps are indeed outstanding and have taken a foothold in the small venue performance industry this could be a market demographic Fender is adjusting their prices too. A pattern that's worked for them in the past. Though a less well considered tactic in current times IMHO.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Even tougher is the income reduction that pro musicians have suffered over the last few years. Some have not still not recovered and this, coupled with rising prices for new gear, has made things even worse for them.

Comment

It's hard to find what the amps sold for in the past, but did find UK price in 2018 was 850 pounds and now is 1100 using Mick's number above. That is basically 30% increase over 4 years. US inflation over that period is 15%

Comment

Some things have gone up more than others . Bought plywood lately ? I paid $450 for a brand new Hotrod Deluxe years ago . Good deal I thought . If your wages went up too , your OK , but if not your screwed . I met a guy busking who was a working musician but now moved in with his mom . The guy could play too . Things will come back . Last night they were having a metal fest a the roadhouse up at the corner . I didn't go but I could hear them . As for tubes I think they are going to stay high . Maybe higher prices will bring more investment and better reliability and availability .

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                        Even tougher is the income reduction that pro musicians have suffered over the last few years. Some have not still not recovered and this, coupled with rising prices for new gear, has made things even worse for them.
                        Gotta fix old gear then, oboy more employment for me.
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

Gotta fix old gear then, oboy more employment for me.
                          I thought the same thing. Then I thought, "But these guys I love on the forum are going to have to deal with desperate guitar players." (typically clueless, slow on the take and their checks only clear occasionally.) This "S" isn't going to get easier for anyone that isn't already secure. And probably not even all of those that THOUGHT they were. On the up side I think people who can actually make things work at the ground level MAY remain respected and stable because they've become more necessary. So maybe things won't be as tough on the repair guys (and hopefully, house painters) as they might be for investment bankers I remember hearing a radio program about twenty years ago on KGO in SJ, Cal. The host said "Someday we'll ALL telecommute." and I thought 'This guy is mentally deficient! Who's going to pick up his garbage or package the meat he buys at the market?' Point is... The real world is coming and people that aren't the 'exempt employees' of the world may enjoy some stroking with a small paradigm shift. I wouldn't count on much but practical thinkers who can get things done with the tools at hand will be very important in the coming times. Rather than being slaves to the current owners of everything we should use the opportunity to reclaim some dignity and provenance.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
                            It's hard to find what the amps sold for in the past,..
                            In 'Fender Amps The first 50 Years' authors Teagle and Sprung have put together pricing for Fender amps by model for each decade since inception. So it's pretty easy to research economies in those decades and relate it to expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

In 'Fender Amps The first 50 Years' authors Teagle and Sprung have put together pricing for Fender amps by model for each decade since inception. So it's pretty easy to research economies in those decades and relate it to expense.
                              Good book indeed. Mr Teagle, as luck would have it, is a crustomer on occasion. Of course we get on like wildfire. He's invited me several times to his home, a museum of ancient audio gear stretching into the dawn of electronic amplification. Something I have yet to see. Gives me reason to live, I must cash in on his invite one of these days.
                              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                              X