How to handle unused sockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handle unused sockets?

I have a Ward Airlne GIM 9151a head that originally had 4x6L6 but it had two output transformers that were supposed to drive two speakers. Both OTs had failed, it didn't make sense to me to keep the original scheme, so I got one new OT and am keeping it to one pair of 6L6s, my thought is it is probably better as a guitar amp than bass and it wouldn't have enough power for bass no matter what. As a guitar amp it is pretty close to something like a Supro Thunderbolt.

My question is what to do with the two octal sockets that are now disconnected? Do I just leave them, maybe use a sharpie and label them as unused? Fill them with goop or something? I could take out the sockets but them would have to fill the holes anyway.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Greg

Take the sockets out. Use them for something else. No need to fill the holes, it's just ventilation.

Comment

I don't agree--octal holes are plenty large enough for curious fingers. Cover them or just leave old sockets in place and label them properly.
      --
      I build and repair guitar amps
      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

This link is just an example. You'll have to measure for exact size, but I've used this type of plug before. Available at home depot, auto parts stores, etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-1-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I have some really cool hole covers I'll try to dig em up and post pics.
          nosaj
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220906_180427.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.82 MB ID:	967857 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220906_180433.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	967858 Pm me if you want 2. They came fromm a radio repair shop that was liquidating
            nosaj
            Attached Files
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

As they're disconnected, I would leave the sockets and label them as unused. Though if was a 'keeper' for myself, I'd make some shaped aluminium plates (like a TO3 transistor outline) and bolt them in place.

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
                I don't agree--octal holes are plenty large enough for curious fingers. Cover them or just leave old sockets in place and label them properly.
                Who's gonna stick their fingers in a tube socket hole? There's already holes from where a transformer was taken out. Might as well put warning stickers and safety signs on it. Put duct tape over the holes or just leave them alone.

Comment

Stiff Cardboard would suffice for cover plates, if you're insisting on removing the unused sockets. Easy enough to cut to proper size. A scribe would suffice to poke the screw holes thru after marked with pencil.
                  Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Thanks for the inputs. I'm leaning towards cutting a couple plexiglass disks and gluing them onto the sockets. This is such an oddball amp, I want it to stay closer to original than looking highly modified. I felt bad only replacing one of the OTs, but the original scheme was ridiculous and OTs are expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                      As they're disconnected, I would leave the sockets and label them as unused. Though if was a 'keeper' for myself, I'd make some shaped aluminium plates (like a TO3 transistor outline) and bolt them in place.
                      How about something fancy that actually plugs into the socket, like aluminum with a keyed center pin, similar to the keyway replacements.
                      https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...ce-octal-tubes
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You guys are weird. In a good way, of course

Comment

Mount a piece of plexi or aluminum from the bottom and attach through the existing screw holes .

Comment

Could also take the sockets out, remove the conductor material and mount them back in upside down.
                            ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Working...
                            X