Best "trash" or sleeper guitar speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best "trash" or sleeper guitar speakers

Looking at doing some speaker cabinet projects. I've never really been a speaker snob, maybe I'm just a crappy enough player it doesn't matter much to me. Anyhoo, I know most of the speakers that people recommend but am interested in peoples opinions on stuff that can be gotten really cheap, think "parting out beaten up 4x12 cabs". I know a speaker builder who was well regarded in Portland used to use cheap Fender speakers in his custom cabs. I'm sure those were his "base" builds and you could upgrade from there.

Some people seem to like the Randall Jaguars, any others that people have liked? Crate? Peavey? I know I had a Peavey 412 with Sheffields that I really liked, don't know if they would work in other configs, and again, not a speaker conneisseure. My builds might be closed 1x12 or 1x12 tube combo. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA,
    Greg

A couple of years ago I purchased a Marshall 4x12 straight cab at my local Pawn shop. They were practically giving it away. It was a newer cab with the 4 Ohm and 16 Ohm jacks and a stereo switch. The stock speakers were Celestions with really small magnets. Those speakers don't really sound bad, just the sensitivity is really low. I estimate the 1W/1M rating in the low 90's as opposed to about 100dB for most "commonly used" Celestions. I ask a Celestion rep at an Amp show about them and he said they don't give out data on custom products made for OEM's. What you notice about playing the stock cab besides the low volume is the lack of low frequency impact you get on power cords. I replaced those stock speakers with some OEM 25W Green Backs from Mojotone. Much better
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Along similar lines...

old full range "Rola" coded speakers have sounded "right" to me regarding guitar amps. Magnavox speakers regarded as full range sound right too though they are of relatively low sensitivity. I once recued a VOM (Voice of Music) phonograph that was literally dumped on the curb. The speaker was a Jensen p12R, BUT... It had an unusual cone with a convex shape like a horn. It was actually a GREAT sounding speaker for the low watt amp I built from the parts. It was combined in the original console with another smaller speaker so it was probably intended as a bass speaker compliment. But for small amp/needs bass requirements it actually really fit the bill and sounded great as the lone speaker in a combo amp for "Fender-ish" clean tones and even held together well for overdriving that same amp in it's combo cab.

It's all in the ears. What "sounds" right.

The Eminence Private Jack speakers are recommended for sealed back cabinets. Since I had a couple on hand and knew their tonality I ignored their suggestion and loaded a pair into a Peavey Classic 50. They actually sound AMAZING in that amp with the 2x12 open back cab. I expect it'll be alright since the pair is rated for MUCH higher wattage than the Classic 50.

You never know what you'll find for what "works".

Don't neglect older "full range" speakers. These are the speakers that all the famous guitar amp manufacturers chose from, and the same speakers that modern "guitar amp" speakers are modeled after.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Speaking o f "trash" , I found a 1940's Silvertone floor model hi fi with a 10" pre-Celestion Rola on the curb . Sounds good . Dark , but good .

Comment

Working...
        X