No touchy the shocky bits question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No touchy the shocky bits question

This is a question about keeping anyone from touching dangerous circuitry on a tube amp or having random bits of debris be able to get to high voltages. I have a Sano 500R that I now have working well (yes, I am sure you might be sick of those threads..) but mine does not have a back panel. The preamp chassis has extremely exposed circuitry (pics aren't mine but similar). I'm going to build a new back panel, and wonder if I should go with the original style panel (see pic) with the open slot on the bottom, or close the whole back up and have a larger mesh panel for cooling purposes. I don't know if is realistic that someone could reach up into the slot and hit the preamp circuit, but it seems like some random guitar cable that is pushed into the cavity could find its way up there and wreak havoc.

Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	sano_internal.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	993200

Click image for larger version

Name:	dlvgj37wikjifn9giwsx.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	993201

EDITED: I'd install a screen on the lower vent or leave only one larger screened middle vent. Either way.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 02-04-2024, 03:36 AM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
      ... I'm going to build a new back panel, and wonder if I should go with the original style panel (see pic) with the open slot on the bottom, or close the whole back up and have a larger mesh panel for cooling purposes. I don't know if is realistic that someone could reach up into the slot and hit the preamp circuit, but it seems like some random guitar cable that is pushed into the cavity could find its way up there and wreak havoc.
      Thoughts?
      I would design the new back with both lower and an upper mesh covered openings and an inner plywood pocket on the lower rear left side to serve as storage for the power cord and prevent it from getting tangled around any of the exposed electronics.
      The two mesh openings work together to allow cooling air to enter the bottom and for the warmed air to rise up and escape through the upper vent.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
        I would design the new back with both lower and an upper mesh covered openings and an inner plywood pocket on the lower rear left side to serve as storage for the power cord and prevent it from getting tangled around any of the exposed electronics.
        The two mesh openings work together to allow cooling air to enter the bottom and for the warmed air to rise up and escape through the upper vent.
        Great suggestion on the cord box. One suggestion on that though... Make sure the box walls are on the cabinet or the baffle, but not both. Otherwise you might be chasing rattling noises.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Great suggestions guys. Really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            ... Make sure the box walls are on the cabinet or the baffle, but not both. Otherwise you might be chasing rattling noises.
            Agreed. Also, I always tell customers that the back of their amp cab is not a substitute for a gig bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
              Agreed. Also, I always tell customers that the back of their amp cab is not a substitute for a gig bag.
              Yeah... Don't tell me that. I'll ignore it. But then, I know what's in the back of the amp already so it's different

Comment

Working...
              X