X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wiggy by Peavey Possibly the coolest looking amp

Really interesting
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

I've drawn up designs for 50's type "modearn" stylings with trapezoidal shapes and big dial knobs. I really like the look and thought about doing something like that if I ever got that far. I never did. That's a cool looking amp.

I met Dweezil at the 2009 NAMM show when I was presenting an amp I did for Dean Markley. At the time he was tenuously collaborating with Fuchs and that's the booth where I met him. Incidentally Andy (Fuchs) is a monster guitar amp designer IMHO. Though I don't know how far that ever went. Both were really nice guys. No lip service or glad handing. Just genuine and friendly but with no mind to waste too much time for the guy from the Dean Markley booth

The TransTube designs have actually done pretty well with the high gain metal guys. I've never tried one. But my first amp was an old Peavey Bandit (before the TransTube circuitry) and I used a mid 80's RAT into it. That amp NEVER broke down and I actually had a lot of players that used my rig compliment it's performance. I suppose I should try a TransTube amp but at this point in my life I've already designed and have tube circuits that do pretty much everything I could ask. I started out a SS player but once I discovered the benefit of tubes for guitar amps I never looked back.

On that note...Considering the utter lack of any tube related content in the current threads and the waning availability of suitable tubes I did some looking around. If you plug "guitar amplifier" into a *oogle search the first twenty amps will be digital or SS. Even if you go to the Fender site the first amps they demonstrate are the newer digital modelers for their classic amps way before you get to any tube amps they still offer. I'm worried the writting is on the wall. I recognized that it was happening but I thought it would be a longer, slower process. At the rate I see I think tube guitar amplifiers could be a niche demographic in under five years. With digital and/or modeling amps taking the market all the way to the top end products offered by Fender, Marshall, etc. Five years. Mark my words.

EDIT: I see that Charlie P has posted about an old Silvertone very recently. So at least one tube amp is in the current threads. Phwew! I was starting to think it was never going to happen again.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 03-24-2024, 12:39 AM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      I thought it would be a longer, slower process.
      This would be end stages. The process probably started over 30 yrs. ago, then 'niche' tube companies started up to give us some reprieve. I say 'niche' as they are not really electronics companies anymore but strictly tube companies serving a small segment of the audio market. I see it sort of like the aftermarket auto parts companies that are strictly serving the classic car market. They aren't really a part of the regular auto parts industry and when the demand dwindles enough, they will have to fold.

Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I would "Like" those last 2 posts, but they make me sad. A couple of thoughts.

1) It won't be long before young players will never know the joy of playing through a real tube amp. (Many don't already)
        2) Hang on to those tube amps and tubes, boys. They're gonna be worth a lot of money someday!
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Wiggy has competition. This beast showed up at our friendly neighbors The Amp Garage a couple weeks ago, the mighty Encore. A lively discussion ensued, as you might imagine. 40 thousand Euros for George Jetson's amp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	encore amp.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	996497

https://www.jens-ritter-shop.com/produc ... encore-amp

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36937
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Sorry, there isn't a guitar amp made that I'd pay 40K for......, unless maybe it had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a garage, and a large open floorplan kitchen/living room.

Edit:......aside from the fact that the road case is going to stupidly awkward.

Edit (again): https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/je...0k-guitar-amp/
            Last edited by The Dude; 03-26-2024, 01:00 AM.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
            X