Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can i get an un finished empty 2x12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can i get an un finished empty 2x12?

Hi. So this is the first time I have posted on here, but now that I know this forum exists... you guys are going to be hearing a lot from me.

My question is, does anyone here know where i can go to buy a 2x12 cabinet that has all the woodwork and assembly done, but is not covered in any tolex, or loaded up with speakers? Or does anyone have plans for building a cabinet? I am trying to figure out how to put the cabinet together for cheap, and spend the money on the speakers. I have searched ebay for broken or blown cabinets, but i haven't really found anything.

Originally posted by jaredisburning View Post
    Hi. So this is the first time I have posted on here, but now that I know this forum exists... you guys are going to be hearing a lot from me.

My question is, does anyone here know where i can go to buy a 2x12 cabinet that has all the woodwork and assembly done, but is not covered in any tolex, or loaded up with speakers? Or does anyone have plans for building a cabinet? I am trying to figure out how to put the cabinet together for cheap, and spend the money on the speakers. I have searched ebay for broken or blown cabinets, but i haven't really found anything.
    What kind of budget do you have?
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

I'd start watching your local craigslist, maybe even post that you are looking for an empty cab.

Comment

Your basic open-backed cab can be any size (as long as the speakers will fit and you are happy lugging it around), and has a top and bottom, 2 sides, a baffle, and usually about 2/3 of the back covered. This will sound good for guitar. I like using marine grade plywood for baffle and pine for everything else (resonates nicely). Other peeps choose harder timber.

A closed back cab cab be ported or sealed and there is a bit more science to it. Here's a good place to start.

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/speaker_cab.html
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Another thing to look for (esp. on craigslist) is a dead solid state combo amp that has the speaker configuration you're looking for.

Depending on your woodworking skills (or how much you care about how it ends up looking) it's pretty easy to make your own cabinet. Plywood, screws, some liquid nails, etc.
          Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Comment

So you are not really looking for a bare cab, you are thinking an uncovered one will be cheaper, right?

I like the dead combo amp idea.

And try this: enter "guitar speaker plans" into google. (leave off the quote marks)
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok so here the deal. My typical set-up is a custom designed Badcat wildcat 40R head through a matching Badcat 4x12 cabinet, And a Fender 4x10 Deville. I A-B the amps with a Morley A-B pedal, using my Fender for cleans, and warm distorted sparkly chimy sounds, and I use the Badcat at a slightly higher volume blended with the warm channel from the fender to get a really huge thick distortion. This set up has served me well for the past 2 years, But that was when I was touring full time, and playing large venues. The Badcat has a half power switch so I can run it at 20 watts, but the 4x12 is just too much to lug around now that I am playing small rooms. So I am looking to put together a 2x12 cab, preferably closed back. I thought about 1x12, but every cabinet I have ever tried smaller than 2x12 has just lost some overall presence and tone. The reason I was saying uncovered was because I was hoping to cover it myself to match the head (White leather, black piping, white grill cloth), And I also wanted to put a nice set of speakers in it. I was thinking a set of fanes, or maybe some alnico blues? (does anyone have a recommendation to match the Badcat?) I know some of you will say I should just get another Badcat 2x12, or at least use the speakers, but I already have a 4x12, and variety is the spice of life. I like the idea of using an old bloen combo amp, I think I'll look into that. But most of them are open backed.....

Comment

So then answer Bruce's question... budget?

This is outside my area of troubleshooting, but places like Avatar and Mojo come to mind. ANy place that makes cabs should be willing to sell you one without cover material on it.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  So then answer Bruce's question... budget?

This is outside my area of troubleshooting, but places like Avatar and Mojo come to mind. ANy place that makes cabs should be willing to sell you one without cover material on it.
                  Right... when still running my cabinet shop, I've had MOJO build me a few unfinished cabinets and then I covered them myself with special fine grain lizard skin vinyl that MOJO had yet not "sourced".
                  You are still going to get poked for a high price though so finding an old cabinet to re-cover yourself is still a good option.
                  As an example, last year I bought a 2X12 Orange cabinet on ebay for $59.00 (that included the shipping!!) that someone had recovered "badly" in red-white and blue vinyl... ugly as sin and there was no grille cloth yet... but the cabinet was very sound. +$30.00 worth of materials and recovering... under $90 for a killer cabinet.
                  I put a couple, lower cost, 16 ohm Eminence GB12s in the cabinet at 8 ohms and it sounded great.
                  So I'll ask again... what kind of budget do you have as that is going to make a difference in any other recommendations I or others can make.
                  Bruce

Mission Amps
                  Denver, CO. 80022
                  www.missionamps.com
                  303-955-2412

Comment

I was hoping to put together something for under $300. all materials included.

Comment

They don't show uncovered cabs, but you might contact them with what you want:

http://www.lopoline.com/2x12ocabs.html
                      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                      - Yogi Berra

Comment

212 Cab source

I have been buying head cabs and 212 cabs from Gabkits also known as Reason Amplifiers. www.gabkits.com

The price is right for an empty tolexed cab but they also deal, so give them a shout. Also, www.vibroworld.com

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X