need help and recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help and recomendations

I'm interested in building my own tube amp and i've come across this site. I'm an Engineering Tech student so i have a good knowledge of general electronics, but they stopped teaching tubes decades ago. So everything up to tubes i understand well.

On my travels on the internet I've been simply overwhelmed by the variety of amp schematics i've come across. I was wondering if you folks could recommend me a good amp to start with. I'm very experienced with soldering and reading schematics.

I have no interest in building a pre-amp since i have one of these (see link). I was thinking i could just plug it into the amp and then hook it up to my cab. My cab is a 1-12" at 75 watts. I build my own effect pedals so i can do without a pre amp. Also i would like to one day gig with this amp, so it needs enough wattage. I'm looking for a classic/grungy sound, just think weezer.
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...802?sku=631263

huge thanks in advance.

Um... a single ended amp with several preamp gain stages and a honking big KT88 output tube (or parallel output stages)? - The AX84 site has some higher powered SE options for lead gueetar amps

or a tweed deluxe style thing

or a Marshall 18W type thing
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

If you have the preamp side 'taken care of', you probably have enough
      signal level to drive a phase inverter and push-pull output directly. You might consider a clean type power amp if all of your signal processing is in the preamp, otherwise something with more gain if you want more color from the output section. I'm a fan of low gain (especially octal) tubes, especially for the PI because they have a higher threshold voltage than 9-pin hi-gain types. It takes more signal level to push them over the edge, therefore you have more headroom and a cleaner power section. You can also go the other direction with a 9-pin PI and a driver stage in front of it for more output distortion. Look at ANY (almost) 'classic' Blackface Fender schematic and build the output section only. Adding a switchable driver stage before a PI > P-P would probably cover most bases, including guitar level input with no FX.
      Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
      Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Working...
      X