Hiwatt tone stack vs Marshall or Fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiwatt tone stack vs Marshall or Fender

I have noticed there are some things about the Hiwatt tone stack that make it different from typical Marshal/Fender designs, but does anyone know the real world audible differences?

I realize that most Marshall tone stacks are fed by a CF, and that Hiwatts have many other differences, but I was wondering if anyone put a Hiwatt stack into any of their builds.

There is no "Hiwatt" tab on the Duncan Tone Stack calculator to see how it graphs.

I was referencing this schematic:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/newam...100w_dr103.pdf
    www.youtube.com/sicherheit

www.myspace.com/microwaves

i've been curious too. this is the only site i could find with any plots of it, but it doesnt seem that the dials were all set to mid point when they varied an individual knobs.

it does show a plot with all the knobs at midway, and it seems that there is more mids than a marshall or fender, and the mid control works for a much wider range.

http://chejok.freecoolsite.com/

Comment

I might re-do the tone stack in my main amp like a Hiwatt, just to see what happens.

Comment

You could model it in LTSpice

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/too...mp-tone-stack/

Comment

good tip andrew. always heard of spice programs, but never used one as i assumed they werent free. thanks

Comment

I suppose it's about time I got Spice and started using it.

Comment

Go back to the Duncan Tone Stack calculator. I think it's called 'James' or something. It's a Baxandall circuit, commonly used in Hi-Fi. It should be fed with a low impedance drive, as the calculator indicates, but several amplifier makers run it off the plate instead of a cathode follower. The center of the control is '0' and therefore gives you boost or cut of bass and treble. The Fender circuit only increases bass and treble, leaving the mids scooped. There's your difference in sound. If you like midrange honk, you need a pedal with a Fender circuit.
              Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
              Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Originally posted by GibsonLover View Post
                Go back to the Duncan Tone Stack calculator. I think it's called 'James' or something. It's a Baxandall circuit, commonly used in Hi-Fi. It should be fed with a low impedance drive, as the calculator indicates, but several amplifier makers run it off the plate instead of a cathode follower. The center of the control is '0' and therefore gives you boost or cut of bass and treble. The Fender circuit only increases bass and treble, leaving the mids scooped. There's your difference in sound. If you like midrange honk, you need a pedal with a Fender circuit.
                it may use a similar principal, but the circuits are quite different.

Comment

Oops - I was thinking Ampeg. Orange did the same thing. I see the Hiwatt is
                  a pretty similar Fender variant.
                  Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
                  Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

So, I got distracted from trying this, but I put a Dumble-esque tone stack into my 50watt amp that is more or less a marshall, circuitwise. Of course, the tone stack is in a completely different place than in a Dumble, but the tone stack works well for me.

Comment

How does it compare sound-wise? Noticeably different I assume? Do you like it better?

Originally posted by Chrome Dinette View Post
                      So, I got distracted from trying this, but I put a Dumble-esque tone stack into my 50watt amp that is more or less a marshall, circuitwise. Of course, the tone stack is in a completely different place than in a Dumble, but the tone stack works well for me.

Comment

It somehow seems "smoother," for lack of a better term. It seems that I can add more treble, without some high mid harshness that would normally come with it.

I'll have a better idea soon, I just converted my main amp and I am practicing Saturday and playing a show on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                        X