Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool stuff to look for at the ham radio flea market...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool stuff to look for at the ham radio flea market...

I thought this might be the best place to post...

I'm going to my first ham radio/electronics flea market this Saturday, and I'm not sure what to look for besides tubes, maybe a tube tester, or a old radio chassis with decent transformers and a nice tube compliment.

Any ideas? What do you guys look for?

Thanks.

If you're as cheap as me you look for tube sockets in addition to what you mentioned.
    Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Comment

You never know what you will find. Test equipment is common. You might find a working old scope for $10, or you might not. MAybe some panel meters. FInd an AC amp meter that can handle 5 or 10 amps and wire it in series with an outlet on your bench, then you can plug amps you work on into it and watch their current draw. MAybe you'll spot an old Eico or Heathkit or Knightkit (or other brands) capacitor tester.

Just go and look around and see what's there. Chokes maaybe.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Apart from tubes and all the stuff that has been mentioned , keep an eye out for; pots, caps (but be wary of 2nd hand electrolytics), resistors (never know what treasures you might find CC, power resistors etc), chassis hole punches (assorted sizes - 3/4", 7/8", 1", 1 & 1/16", 1 & 1/8" are probably the most useful)
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks for the great advice!

Comment

Keep an eye peeled for a 1959 Les Paul.....

Comment

Variac, Soldering equipment, Phone plugs, A hat with your name on it, Ceramic tube sockets, toggle switches, the list goes on...
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

You know, I am always on the lookout. I got to stores and they have the personalized pencils, note pads, rulers, coffee mugs, and even hats, and so on. But so far I have NEVER seen any of it with the name Enzo on it. I didn;t think to try a ham fest for that.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm sure I remember seeing a stall with a computerized sewing machine that would embroider your name or call letters onto a baseball hat, shirt or whatever, while you waited.

It's a long time since I've been to a hamfest, though, or "radio rally" as they're called in Britland.
                  "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

COme on Steve. Making your own name item is cheating, the whole point is to FIND one.

Comment

Good news to report: I found an old working Heathkit scope (built by the sellers brother) with original probes for $20, and a RC-22 for $5. Not bad, if I say so myself.

My buddies found some NOS 12AT7s for $1 each, and some nice RCA 5Y#s on the cheap. I passed on the $22 Telefunkens...

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz View Post
                        I passed on the $22 Telefunkens...
                        No way Hose! Go back and grab them quickly before they disappear
                        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

The most important find at a ham fest

THIS IS IN CAPS CAUSE I"M SHOUTING IT!

TAKE A PEN AND PAPER, FIND OLD GUYS WITH BAD HAIR AND NAMES LIKE CHET AND HILLARY. GET THIER KNOWLEGE!

THEY ARE PROBABLE THE GUYS IN A TABLE WITH A BUNCH OF OLD CRAP ON THEM.

PHONE NUMBERS AND CONTACTS.

you would be amazed at what guys like these know.

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo View Post
                            Keep an eye peeled for a 1959 Les Paul.....
                            No foolin'!

One year a guy was selling a Plexi 50W and period correct 4x12 cab for less than a Grand!!!!!!!!!!! I was on the skids at the time and kicked my own ass
                            for a solid year after that...

vintage telephones, rekkid playas, amazing crap always...But get there before
                            the herd. This may mean before dawn in the warmer months.

Have fun and be sure to come here gloating if you do score something killer!

Comment

What's the best way or best place to look to find when/where ham radio or electronics flea markets are going to be? I'm new to the "search" even though I've been fiddling with this stuff for about 30 years.

At least I know what to look for, now, thanks to you guys...

Comment

Working...
                              X