X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Cliff Jacks Together?

Hey all,

Need to wire some cliff jacks together like this:

What type of wire is used to wire them together?

Will some 30amp fuse wire do?

Thanks guys,

Cat

I just strip the insulation long (a bit at a time) give it a twist and soak it with solder. Then I feed it through the lugs and solder it on. If thats inconvinient for some reason (ie: lead wire is soldered under the board and I don't want to replace it) I just pick a componant I'm not likely to use and steal the tinned lead from it. I don't know about 30amp fuse wire. I would assume that that 30 amp rating is for a specific length and I'll bet the distance between those jacks is greater. I don't think it would be a problem in this application though as far as current capacity. But the fuse wire could be more brittle than ordinary solid wire. Still probably wouldn't be a problem but there are better solutions. If a tidy appearance is important you could use a stripped piece of solid copper and "tin" it with solder. I like my method of just stripping off a long piece of the insulation, twist and tin with solder.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

For that sort of thing I prefer solid wire as opposed to stranded wire, but either works fine. It is just my preference. Like Chuck says, just strip the insulation off the wire for a couple inches or however long you need bare. I wire most things wqith stranded wire though. Your black and blue wires look like they are stranded too. I just grab a roll of solid wire and strip off a piece. Run it across the jacks, then solder them and solder the incoming wire to it.

And like Chuck's other idea, considering that resistors cost a penny, sometimes when I need a piece of solid wire I just snip off one lead from a resistor and use it. I keep a small jar of trimmed off component leads for just such purposes. I even save leads off old parts I remove from things - the wire is still good. Some old caps have very long ssolid wire leads.

If you do a lot of work, you can buy rolls of bare tinned wire just as you can regular insulated wire. It is generally referred to as "bus wire" then.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks guys, I thought of both options but tinning strand wire is a bit of a pain and the electronics stores near me are useless and dont keep any solid wire (I know!).

I wont use the fuse wire as I dont want to risk it being brittle as Chuck said.

Might go the resistor wire route.

Cheers guys,

Cat

Comment

You don;t HAVE to tin the striped stranded wire, it just makes things look neater. For that matter you don;t have to have the conductors exposed like that either. Half those jack terminals are cutouts and are not doing anything. You can just loop a short piece of insulated wire from jack to jack, like you would connecting any other two things together.

Try a hardware store for solid wire. or even a craft/hobby store.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

To add to Enzo's post, the local Jo-Ann Fabrics has solid wire in the bead craft section. I want to say I've seen the same at Walmart.
            -Mike

Comment

22 awg tinned buss wire.
              Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

I hope that's not a very powerful amplifier in that picture with the way the speaker impedance switch is wired. I don't see any jumpers and using only 1 pole of that 4 pole switch doesn't give you much power handling capability.
                Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

I found this by the side of the road ! Think its some serious 22,000 volt cable.
                  If just fits through the holes . If one jack nut goes missing it's held in place
                  by this !That round shiny thing is an Auzzie 10c piece.

Still got plenty left before I have to look for a new one !
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yah, Where I live most people haul their own trash. No garbage pickup service. So every two weeks I go to the dump I get to scout for old console units and big hunks of aluminum heatsink and stuff like that. Salvage is great. "One mans garbage..." and all that.

Oh, and that impedance switch. I noticed Ceriatone doing that for a while now. If I recognize that rotory switch it's only rated for 1/3 watt!?! It's been suggested here and at other forums (and was noted by bnwitt just now) to double or triple the poles for safety in these kits.

Chuck
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I use standard CAT5 cable(I have plenty of leftovers from building computer networks). Very convenient. And if you need a twisted pair (for filament and signal wires)it's already done.

Comment

Working...
                      X