Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

500k vs. 1M for volume control- differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500k vs. 1M for volume control- differences?

Ok... Besides "500k", what's the difference between using a 500k pot for a master volume vs. using a 1m pot?

Would I lose overall volume, bass, or treble?

Thanks!

Not necessarily, yes & yes....but not too much. You want to make sure that your master volume doesn't load down the tone stack too much. A larger pot does a better job at that. A smaller pot will end up limiting the effectiveness of the tone control ranges. A 500k won't be the end of the world but it is not preferrable in that scenario.

Just curious, why do you want to use the 500k?

Comment

Originally posted by cbarrow7625 View Post
      Not necessarily, yes & yes....but not too much. You want to make sure that your master volume doesn't load down the tone stack too much. A larger pot does a better job at that. A smaller pot will end up limiting the effectiveness of the tone control ranges. A 500k won't be the end of the world but it is not preferrable in that scenario.

Just curious, why do you want to use the 500k?
      A friend wants me to build him a sloclone, but with separate tone stacks on each channel.... I can get concentric pots in 500k, so I can double up the gain and volume controls. (gain is already supposed to be 500k, but volume is 1 Meg.)

Comment

You can get dual 1M Audio taper pots from Mouser as well:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/638/684.pdf

Why make the gain & volumes concentric? Your friend would have a much more versatile amp if the pairs of gains & MV's were on seperate controls.

Comment

Originally posted by cbarrow7625 View Post
          You can get dual 1M Audio taper pots from Mouser as well:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/638/684.pdf

Why make the gain & volumes concentric? Your friend would have a much more versatile amp if the pairs of gains & MV's were on seperate controls.
          Well, you're right... The main reason I was going that route was because weber sells slo-like chassis, and I'd like to avoid having to do the chassis myself.

I _could_ build the amp in something like a deluxe reverb or twin reverb chassis, but I'm worried about the deluxe being too small for that circuit, and the twin being too big for my friend's back. (I can go w/50 watts to save a little weight, but I don't think that would make much of a difference.)

Comment

Have you seen the C3 amps site? He sells most of the "hard to finds" needed to build a SLO Clone, including the chassis and head shell.
            -Mike

Comment

This may be off topic.. but, i figured someone have an answer.
              Have a guyatone combo w/2 EL84's in power section (GA-430 i think) and the mstr (only volume) pot is a A500K (reads 625k) with an broken on/off switch piggybacked and intermittent. All i can find with a switch is a 1meg 1000k (measures 925K) ohms. Will this make the amp brighter. Because all it has is a tone for EQ and i may not want it brighter..
              Also will this overload anything in the pre-amp or power section?

I did find a full sized bournes A500K that i may be able to make work! But, it reads 435K on meter. Not sure which way to go? 970K or 435K? I imagine wall power is around 117 around here!
              Am kinda hesitant about ever turning this thing on until i know for sure what value volume pots(s) would be best.
              is a tone pot considered a tone stack and can it be loaded down by a 1meg mstr / (only) volume?
              thanx, p. surrounded by death
              Last edited by pawleep; 02-01-2018, 01:01 AM. Reason: edit

Comment

Hi, it is just a guitar amp, nothing precision. Either one will work, and the fact that your 500k measures what seems to be way off, doesn't matter much. What little difference the two values might make would be compensated by a tiny nudge to the tone controls. Pick one and try it. If you don't like it, you can always take it back out and put something else in there.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                X