6G3 oddities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6G3 oddities

Just finished my 6G3 build. This thing rocks!

There are, of course, a few bugs to work out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1) there is a 120hz hum, but really only when the vol on the amp or guitar is down. Seems like it'd be the other way, and it makes me think something funny is going on. Any ideas?
    2) the trem isn't as intense as I have heard from other 6G3 circuits. What would cause this? The only thing I can think of is that since it's a bias vary trem circuit, maybe my bias is too hot?
    3) now the really weird one: with the trem jack shorted and the intensity all the way up, a loud clicking (not in pace with the trem speed, more like a *really* loud 120hz buzz) come in. The only thing I can do to make it stop is turn off the amp. I put the knobs back where they were and it's all ok again.

B+ is too high for my tastes 405v on the plates of the 6v6s (and the bias circuit is -32v at the coldest setting). A zener will fix this for me, but I include this detail in case it causes any of the above problems.

I missed you all while this site was down. I didn't realize how much I come here to read and post even if I don't have a problem.

If anyone thinks this might be related to lead dress, I can post some pics.
    In the future I invented time travel.

Hi cminor9

In regard to the trem, have you got the speaker hooked up to the correct OT tap? (I had an intense chopper-like noise on my 5G9 with the trem on full blast recently - until I realised I had the 8R speaker plugged into the 16R socket - duh!- the thing was only seeing 2k5!)

And yep the bias vary trem makes the output tubes run considerably hotter when its on, so you need to bias them colder. In regard to the intensity, have you tried different tubes in the oscillator? Also, you can play around with the RC values in the oscillator if you're after a more trippy sound.

In regard to the buzzing, could be a bad filter cap, or a bad plate resistor in the pre-amp (- Just guessing)
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

hello TW and thanks for the reply

the OT is not multi tapped, so at least I can rule out the wrong impedance.

I was absolutely meticulous when I soldered up the board. I tested EACH component and then used my MM to make sure that each connection was good (all < .2 ohms.) I will not say it's impossible for me to have a bad plate resistor, but that seems very unlikely. That said, just bought a lot of filter caps. Maybe I should swap them in...That's an idea.

When you say "play around with the RC values in the oscillator", what exactly do you mean? I am interested...
      In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Working...
      X