X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Fender Frontman 212R

I decide to build my own amp.
    Is there anyone who can help me?
    send me a schematics, pictures of finished amp and board with elements..

Why build it? It's a solid state amp, which typically sell for dirt cheap when used.

Comment

If I want to graduate in my school I need to build something by myself.. I decide to build amplifier because I play guitar and need a little better amplifier than I have..
      I have Laney HCM30R..

Comment

There seems to be some discussion whenther there is a difference between the FM212R and the Frontman 212R. On the Fender service disc, they call the file Frontman 212R, while the schematics are titled FM212R. In either case whichever one you look at is a complete and functional amp circuit.

The FM212R is an entry level model, Fender has it on the replace only warranty list. There is little support documentation, such as board layouts, and the only parts list is about a dozen items like speaker, footswitch, etc.

I would say this is rather a large circuit to build for a school class.
        Attached Files
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You could build a Tweed Bassman, and it sure would be a lot easier, and probably sound a heck of a lot better. Tube circuits are a lot easier for me to understand anyway. Here are the original Fender schematics and layouts, along with the easier to read Ted Weber schematic and layout. Weber can supply all the parts or a kit for you to build......no instructions.

http://www.schematicheaven.com/fende...5f6a_schem.pdf

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/5f6a_schem.jpg

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/5f6a_layout.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            There seems to be some discussion whenther there is a difference between the FM212R and the Frontman 212R. On the Fender service disc, they call the file Frontman 212R, while the schematics are titled FM212R. In either case whichever one you look at is a complete and functional amp circuit.

The FM212R is an entry level model, Fender has it on the replace only warranty list. There is little support documentation, such as board layouts, and the only parts list is about a dozen items like speaker, footswitch, etc.

I would say this is rather a large circuit to build for a school class.

Thank you a lot.
            Is that schematics completed? I looked at it and I saw there is missing resistors between R145 an R201. Also missing capacitors between C89 and 201. Is that sort of numbering or really missing some parts?
            Do you have page 2 on schematics? Where I can get it?

Comment

Often the first digit of the part number denotes a subassembly. You'll probably find that the component numbers 201 and up are on a different board and R146-200 don't actually exist.

I agree with the other comments, this is probably not a good choice of project. The fact that it has multiple PCBs and more than 46 resistors sets alarm bells ringing for me. A simple tube amp like the 5E3 or Champ would probably be better, unless your school require you to use solid-state, in which case you could do worse than check out the projects at ssguitar.com
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Even if they are on the same circuit board, schematic drawers will also often group numbers for sub sections of the schematic. SO all the preamp parts would be in the 100s, the powr amp in the 200s, the power supply in the 300s, and the channel switching controls in the 400s. I made up that example, but that is why your parts numbers are "missing."

Seriously, the circuit boards for that amp are about the size of my computer keyboard.

If you want to make a non-tube circuit for a project, an effect pedal might be a more reasonable size project.

The schematics I posted are what Fender sends me as a service center. It looks complete to me. I don;t offhand see R201 or C201 on there anyway.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Even if they are on the same circuit board, schematic drawers will also often group numbers for sub sections of the schematic. SO all the preamp parts would be in the 100s, the powr amp in the 200s, the power supply in the 300s, and the channel switching controls in the 400s. I made up that example, but that is why your parts numbers are "missing."

Seriously, the circuit boards for that amp are about the size of my computer keyboard.

If you want to make a non-tube circuit for a project, an effect pedal might be a more reasonable size project.

The schematics I posted are what Fender sends me as a service center. It looks complete to me. I don;t offhand see R201 or C201 on there anyway.

Do you have any pictures of circuit board or something else of FM212r?

Comment

I have no images other than what has been posted.

Comment

I have no images other than what has been posted.
                      In schematic of FM212R where connect "to pot brackets" and "ground" in D8 sector?

Comment

When I got my AS Degree in electronics way back in the day, I also had to design and build a project. Your choice IMHO is WAY too ambitious, will be WAY too expensive, WAY too time consuming, and you will have an inferior, problematic amp when you are done. What I ended up doing is making an expandable 4 channel mixer using opamps and butterworth filters. I did this because my band needed a mixer at the time and mixers were much more expensive than they are now and opamps were the big new thing at the time. I never used it and never fully completed it. I got an A because it worked and I demonstrated that it did. I did however scavange it and use what I had learned to build active crossovers for our PA eventually that year. Enzo's recommendation to build a pedal is probably right on the mark. If you insists on building an SS amp there are lots of simple preamps (or even a pedal) that you can meld with a simple monolithic output IC of your choice. Keep in mind your skill level, project complexity, and time constraints. You are flurting with disaster. There is much more to it than understanding the schematics. You probably want something you can build up on a perf board that you can put in a standard enclosure off the shelf.

Comment

Fender - and many other brands - often uses pots with added support brackets. The brackets are soldered to the board for extra strength.

Fender runs a grounding trace from bracket to bracket. On some models, this actually carries the ground to portions of the circuit.

SO that reference means that the row of control brackets are connnected to that point, which grounds them to chassis with the 10 ohm resistor.

Note the R1 ground symbol is different from the others. That means R1 is grounded to chassis, while the other grounds are gathered together, then sent to chassis through that resistor.

If you build an amp like this just following the schematic, it might work, but there is a lot of layout nuance and details such as grounding patterns that is not discussed on the drawing. You may wind up with hum and noise problems that can be baffling.

Comment

i had that amp, there is no reason you would want to build it. the circuit board is very complex without sounding very good.

do a pedal or something simpler.

Comment

OMG, look at the schematic! You could build the entire line of narrow panel tweeds for about the same part count as one amp that sounds like an electrified turd!
                              In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Working...
                              X