X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first project, Champ vs Vibrolux questions

hi guys!
    i'm new here, i wanna build my own amp!
    i have some experience with iron, but not with tubes (i built a couple 1073, a 1176, a GSSL, pedals, stuff like this).

i want an amp so bad!!
    unfortunately, i have not big experience with fender amps so i'm not sure of what i'm looking for.
    i need a small power amp. i just wanna play it at home and record it, i don't do gigs anymore.

the first candidate would be the Champ, but i'm worried about the bass response of a 8" speaker. and i really could use some vibrato.
    i've seen that the output power of a Vibrochamp is actually something like 6-7 Watt, not 5.
    then i've seen the Vibrolux and this thing is cool!
    i have some difficulties in finding some pieces, like the chassis, and few questions:

-how is loud a 10W amp?
    -is it much more loud than a Champ?
    -do the Vibrolux speaker have 4Ω or 8Ω?
    i think it's 4Ω but i'm not sure
    -how does the vibrolux sound compared to the Champ?, can break at a tolerable volume for a home?
    -how do these 2 sound compared to Bassman?
    -are hammond transformers good?

i'm open to other amp suggestions
    thanks guys

Hey Pietro,

lots of questions, but you aren't 100% specific am the amps.

There were quite a few amps in the vibrolux line, Fenders amp sounds, besides being different between models, are also different between eras, so tweed era amps are similar in sound (bot not the same) brownface era, blackface, etc.

If you are thinking of a 5f1 champ (tweed) and a 5f11 vibrolux (tweed era) they are similar in sound, but the bigger speakers and transformers of the vibrolux give it a very different sound, as well as being a bit louder.

That is comparing apples to apples, but comparing a tweed champ and a blackfave vibrolux would be VERY different.

Best to start with the Fender amp Field Guide
    The Amp Guide » Fender
    and figure out which specific models you are talking about.

All this beign said, someone who is not familiar with amps, a champs is a good place to start... or a princeton (non reverb)

Comment

thanks. you' been kind.
      yes, i'm planning a tweed 5f11 for now.

one more stupid question:
      is the speaker impedance connected to the output trafo secondaries impedance? i mean, if primaries are 4kΩ and secondaries 4Ω i should use a 4Ω speaker, right?

i have to buy the speaker now (long story) and it would be cool if i can take a speaker that could be used with 5f1 or 5f11 without problems.
      thanks

Comment

The primary impedance needs to match the tubes (pair of 6v6, I assume) and the secondary needs to match your speakers (4, 8, 16 ohm). Also, the OT needs to handle the power you intend to put out (15-20 watts). You can get OTs with 4-8-16 ohm outputs, which can give you some flexibility, or you can select one for the speaker you want to use. Electrically speaking, you have lots of options with many vendors. If you are trying to fit a specific chassis hole then you need one configured for the hole and bolt pattern. If you make your own chassis, you make your own bolt holes - custom.

Comment

Originally posted by pietro_moog View Post
          i have to buy the speaker now (long story) and it would be cool if i can take a speaker that could be used with 5f1 or 5f11 without problems.
          thanks
          Thats going to be a bit of an issue. the 5f1 kits you see are usually set up for a 8 inch or sometimes 10 inch speaker. The 5f11, would use a 12" most likely. So if you were building a champ, you would need a much larger custom cabinet to hold the bigger speaker

Comment

Originally posted by axpro View Post
            Thats going to be a bit of an issue. the 5f1 kits you see are usually set up for a 8 inch or sometimes 10 inch speaker. The 5f11, would use a 12" most likely. So if you were building a champ, you would need a much larger custom cabinet to hold the bigger speaker
            The 5F11 uses a 10" speaker and a smaller power transformer then a 5E3 uses.
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

cool! so now i'm looking for all the parts!
              hey Bruce, do you have a kit still? i can use a metal chassis
              and maybe a cabinet with a fair quotation for shipping to italy..

just joking. but if you can help me let's talk about it

Comment

Working...
              X