Turrets vs tag vs eyelets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kazooman View Post
    ... Do you wrap the leads around the post or do you stick the leads down the hole in the turret?...
    Yes! (both)
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Just completed my first build and I used a board material called G 10 from a local plastic sheet supplier here in San Diego. It was $11 sq ft (enough for about 4 boards. 3/32" worked great (1/8th was a little too thick). It is easy to drill, very tough and doesn't burn. I got brass eyelets from Tandy leather store for next to nothing. I splurged for the eyelet tool for about $6. Counter sinking the back of the hole really does help the flaring process. All in all, making the eyelet board worked out really well.

Comment

I use the yellow tag boards as above and another plus is you can drill and install eyelets in the middle or elsewhere as you need them.

Comment

Has anybody looked at the eyelet press sold at craft shops with the six inch reach for about $40.00. Saw one at Michael's the other day, their eyelets are over priced and low quantities, but they have the perfect tool for applying those eyelets.

Comment

Originally posted by axpro View Post
            For a final project, i prefer turrets. nice and solid

Turret boards are more work to set up (since you usually need to build it yourself) but they are worth it for a final build.

That being said, Many great old amps used eyelets. and have been rocking for 30+ years.

mostly a preference thing

I currently have a few chunks of tagboard laying around... works well too. kind of a mix between the 2. its good for prototyping, and you can cut it to size.

I think i still prefer turrets though
            I'm right with you on this one except I prefer the eylets. I'm a tinkerer and it is nice to be able to change so easily but I also agree that a final product that you will wish not to change comes out nicer for sure with turrets.

Comment

Originally posted by custom_amp_30 View Post
              Has anybody looked at the eyelet press sold at craft shops with the six inch reach for about $40.00. Saw one at Michael's the other day, their eyelets are over priced and low quantities, but they have the perfect tool for applying those eyelets.
              You can get a Keystone #1715 eyelet swaging tool from Mouser for $8.97.

1715 Keystone Electronics Circuit Board Hardware - PCB

The #1715 swaging tool is a component of the Keystone #1721 basic staking kit. One can also stake turrets with the #1721 kit.

1721 KIT Keystone Electronics Component Kits

I used the #1715 by itself for a couple of years before purchasing the #1721 kit. In my humble opinion, the #1721 kit is much nicer than the homebrew turret staking tool that Doug Hoffman offers on his website.
              Last edited by Tonestack; 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X