Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What information should be put on the back panel of an amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What information should be put on the back panel of an amp?

I'm curious as to what information everyone thinks should be put on the back panel of an amp. Usually I wouldn't care, but the current amp build I'm doing is being sold to someone, so I just want to make sure I do it right. I have every control and jack labeled properly, as well as fuses.

On all the amps I've owned, I always see a few high voltage symbol and a little blurb about how tube amps contain high voltages and caution should be used. Is there any standard as to what should be said there?

I don't think anything is 'required' outside of the courtesy of the builder unless it is UL registered. Do not use registered safety logos unless it is actually registered. It would be refreshing to come up with your own logo. Maybe a stick man coming across high voltage. It's a fine line between cheesy and succinct.
    Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
    Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Date of manufacture would be nice to have somewhere on the amp. At some point in the distant future someone will need to replace the electrolytic capacitors. Knowing the age of the amp makes that decision a no brainer after a certain number of years.

Not really back panel stuff but a couple of my pawn shop prizes, a 1975 Vibro Champ and a Roland JC-120, had the manual and schematic in a manila envelope stapled to the inside of the cabinet. I thought it was a nice touch.

Comment

The high-voltage warning is important, I make sure to specify "lethal" voltage.

After a bad experience, I now also specify to disconnect mains before changing a fuse.

Also, my sales contract includes a list of safety measures that the customer must read and sign. I don't make enough amp to afford going in court, so I take the time to properly educate my customer. I also have a very open policy regarding further repairs and modifications, to keep the buyer from doing anything stupid.

I'll gladly refuse to sell an amp to someone who's not taking this seriously.
        I do all I can to make my amp as reliable and safe as possible, and I'd really hate it if someone was to shock himself on something I've built.

Comment

Good info Hardtailed. Yeah I agree, the last thing I want is for the buyer to get hurt, then blame it on me. I'm even afraid to but bias controls on the back. Even though it's something that we all can do safely/properly, I could see someone who doesn't know what they are doing messing it up bad.

Comment

Working...
          X