Looking for real eyes to examine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronsonic View Post
    You will want to have a coupling cap (DC blocking cap) after each tone stack you'll see the wiper of the Marshish treble pot is directly coupled to the plate of the fendish side. Gonna be a little noisy. I'd give both sides a mix resistor too.
    I like that preamp layout.

+1 on mixing resistors. Otherwise the Marshall treble control is going to affect the Fender volume in a big way. Try 475K. If that cuts the highs too much try less. Also they could be asymmetrical to help balance the two channels.

I'm thinking a coupling cap after the Marshall stack is unnecessary, because at that point the signal is already DC blocked. One is definitely needed after the second Fender gain stage though.

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
      Sure. Here's a few hi-res shots.
      Thanks a heap TW

Comment

Sorry for the minor thread hijack here.... but, nice job on the Princestoner, Tubeswell! I got a chuckle out of the name too! But I'm curious, why are there FOUR separate RCA jacks? Two are surely reverb send and return, but the other pair?? Incidently, I'm almost done my 5G9-ish tremolux build that I was convinced to undertake based in part on your sound clips... did it with a LND150 LFO, and IRF based source follower for the tremolo, we'll see how it works out.

Jfutral --- best of luck with your project, we look forward to hearing a progress report!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombaticus View Post
          why are there FOUR separate RCA jacks? Two are surely reverb send and return, but the other pair??
          The typical BF setup uses RCA jacks for the Trem/verb foot switches as well.

Good luck with the 5G9
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

No worries, dude. I love to see how a thread evolves, myself.

Got rid of the 500pf capacitor over the 420k voltage divider from the volume on the Marshish pre. Just too bright. All bets are probably off if the guy plugs in a Les Paul somewhere down the road, but for now I know he plays a strat, so it should be fine.

I also dropped the 2.2k resistor on the first stage down to a 1k. That helped the volume and seems to give it a sooner break up, which will be good if he uses the fendish side for mostly clean and the marshish for crunch.

Put in .022 uf coupling caps and cleaned that little bit of hiss and a little bit of noise from the pots. Restored the rebel mix resistor.

I love how this amp sounds and the variety of clean and dirty tones. And with everyone's help here it is quieter and smoother. I put in a different set of OP tubes and seem to be running a little cooler, but still just under 13 watts. Thanks everyone and especially tubeswell. Even just going over my connections and lead layout was helpful. But rethinking the grounding made a huge difference.

Now he's talkin' FX loop and reverb trash talk. I may need a beefier PT! Oy!

Thanks again,
            Joe

Comment

Working...
            X