Gibson GA8T Output Transformer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson GA8T Output Transformer ?

While I'm waiting for some parts to arrive to complete my GA18 build, I thought I'd make a start on a GA8T. This GA8 version uses two 6BM8 / ECL82 tubes. Info here ....... http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/HB...6BM8_ECL82.PDF

Can anybody direct me to a suitable after-market OT please ?

I've enquired of MM and been advised that they make a GA8T replacement OT that has an 8K primary. It doesn't seem that, given the tube data, that's the right OT.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Gary

What makes you think an 8K primary is not right? The tube data sheet doesn't specify operating conditions for a push pull amp. The GA8-T has them idling at 35mA with a plate voltage of 255V. That's a little on the hot side but not red-plating. You might expect something a little higher like 10K or 12K but the B+ is prettly low.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thank you ( yet again ! ) LT.

The answer to the question is simply, limited knowledge !

Comment

Loudthud, one more question if you would indulge me please.

Found two suitable OT's at Antique Electronic Supply.

Antique Electronic Supply > Transformers & Chokes > Hammond > 1600 Series Push-Pull.

There are two models here that I'm assuming would be suitable. P-T1650E and P-T1615 .

Which one should I opt for please ?

Thank you,

Gary.

Comment

IMHO the P-T1650E and P-T1615 are overkill. Too much iron for a pair of 6BM8 or even 6V6 in a guitar amp. This amp is only going to produce 8 to 10 watts and those transformers are capable of very strong bass at 15W. I would look at P-T1750E or the low cost P-T291.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Decisions, decisions !!

Thank you LT.

Gary

Comment

I know this is an old thread. What did you end up using for the OT and how did it work out? Thank you. MC

Comment

Working...
              X