shielded hook up wire? what's the best choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shielded hook up wire? what's the best choice

I have a supply of #20 cloth covered hook up wire from Antique Electronics that I have been using for a while. I use a teflon coated shielded wire that I stocked up on a while back. It easy to solder but difficult to prepare. It also looks small compared to the old cloth style.

I have often wondered what sort of other shielded wire is available for use inside an DIY amp.

I see a lot of photos of amps where the shielded wire has a big fat insulation like it was re-purposed from use intended as console wire etc.

I've been shopping around but don't see a bunch of info or choices.

Is there a clear best choice and source for a easy to work with shielded hookup wire?

Thanks,
    mike

I like RG174 shielded cable for things like inputs or grid circuits. It is about like reverb-cable in diameter, less than 1/4". You still have to prepare the ends, but it is coated, so the shielding is not grounding out other stuff by accident. You can get it for about 32 cents per foot from places like hoffman, and elsewhere I'm sure.

Comment

I just went and read a little and see that a lot of RG174 is 0.11" outside dia. I also see the wire can be tinned steel or copper depending on what you buy. The inner wire seems to average 22ga and the wire is rated at 50ohms impedance.

At mouser you seem to have to buy a reel so now the pricing at the amp parts stores seem to make sense.

Isa there a particular brand that is nicer than others?

How about other wire types?

thanks again,
      mike

Comment

Not sure if Mouser carries this stuff, but there is a guy on ebay that I buy silver plated copper with teflon insulation.

This stuff is really nice, solders very easy, and it is very small in diameter for 20awg wire.

John's Silver Teflon Wire Shop

This is shielded 20 AWG silver plated copper wire with teflon insulation. The inside conductor is stranded silver plated copper with 19 strands. It has white teflon insulation. It then has a tight silver plated copper braid. The outside insulation is white teflon wrap. It is very sharp looking wire. This is very high quality mil. spec. wire. This wire is well shielded with a silver plated copper braided shield. The OD of this wire is aprox. 0.0975 inch (2.48mm). There is no additional shipping if you buy more wire. I Will ship Worldwide.

Comment

Thanks Trout.
          I forget where I got mine from but it looks very much like that type of wire.

It's nice to work with but it is very stiff.

Thanks again,
          mike

Comment

Working...
          X