Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing OT for Vox-inspired amp?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at building a small Vox-style amp for a friend. I've got a PT that will work; just need to pick an OT. This isn't going to be a clone, but I'd like to start with an AC10/15 format and go from there. I've got a box of odd tubes that I'd like to try using with some 6BK5s and 6AQ5s and lots of strange preamp pentodes. I'm thinking of a Hammond 125E - 15 W, it seems to be pretty universal for primary and secondary impedances, allowing for lots of choices in tubes and speaker combos. I'm considering this more for versatility... Any reason why not to use it?

Thanks in advance!

Justin Thomas
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Here's a link with specs...

Sorry for the short description yesterday...

I'm looking at starting with the EF86 preamp coz it's something new and I haven't heard one before, and just going with a small output section. Then, I wouldn't mind experimenting with all of this stuff I have sitting around.

I've successfully turned a Champ into a Vibro-Champ, added a bias adjust to my Bassman 100, and recapped my 67 Ampeg, so I've got some experience, but I'd really like to get into building without going the whole clone route. I'm usually scavenging old chassis and cases to turn into something else. So that's that.

Justin Thomas
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
    X