HT diode snubbing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT diode snubbing question

I've got a centre tapped HT supply, 350-0-60-350. If I want to put a snubber cap across my HT diodes (which are two in-line on each string) is this a suitable arrangement...

Or... do i need a separate snubber across EACH diode (or for that matter, am I completely wrong with this diagram).

Thanks!

It depends on what you think a snubber diode should do.

To make you pass EMC, or deliver some imaginary sonic benefit, you only need one across each string, as you drew it.

To equalize transient voltage between diodes, you need one across each diode, but that's controversial. Plenty of amps are out there with series diode strings and no capacitors at all. (Suggesting that you don't even need the caps to pass the EMC test.)

A 350-0-350 transformer will put 989V peak across each diode string, which is uncomfortably close to the rating of a 1kV capacitor, so that's another argument for using one cap across each diode.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      A 350-0-350 transformer will put 989V peak across each diode string, which is uncomfortably close to the rating of a 1kV capacitor, so that's another argument for using one cap across each diode.

I've only got two caps but they're actually 1100Vp-p so that's not so bad I guess...

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
      X