New tremeolux 5G3 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tremeolux 5G3 Build

I just finished building a 5G3 and while I like it, I have some questions... What is the best output tranny to use? The MM is very expensive so I went with a 20 watt Hammond 125A1A (fender 041318) and the 290BX (630-0630 120ma) for the power tranny. The circuit is stock although I've removed one channel to install reverb using the 1/2 12AY7 as a reverb recovery.

The amp has a big bluesy sound with a Celection M12 Greenback, but sounds trashy with a Jensen P12Q. Is this the Jensen speaker or the amp?

Also, the amp is not terribly loud, though it is sufficient for a small club gig. Does this sound correct?

Originally posted by kkillebrew View Post
    What is the best output tranny to use? The MM is very expensive so I went with a 20 watt Hammond 125A1A (fender 041318) and the 290BX (630-0630 120ma) for the power tranny.
    What are the best tires to put on your car? What is the best dressing to choose on your dinner salad? That's a perfectly respectable transformer set you have now. No need for buyers remorse. MM are silly expensive and no better than most. As long as your using an OT/PT with correct specs the tonal difference between iron is not as huge as some would have you believe. Don't worry about it.

The circuit is stock although I've removed one channel to install reverb using the 1/2 12AY7 as a reverb recovery.
    Bad idea. The AY7 won't have the needed voltage gain to amplify the miniscule signal from a reverb tank. You could always plug an AX7 in as V1 though. If you find the extra gain objectionable you can pad it down and still keep the AX7 so your reverb recovery won't be insufficient.

The amp has a big bluesy sound with a Celection M12 Greenback, but sounds trashy with a Jensen P12Q. Is this the Jensen speaker or the amp?
    Well it's both. Not all "guitar amps" sound good with all "guitar speakers". I can't say if the Jensen is what that amp may have been made with originally, but I can say that the current Jensen speakers do not sound like the older ones. A good break in is also important on speakers. Current production Jensens have a rep for being overly bright or even harsh and folding up on the bottom end.

Also, the amp is not terribly loud, though it is sufficient for a small club gig. Does this sound correct?
    Yes. It's a point of some discussion here about how to make the 5e3 Deluxe loud enough to gig with. Not a dissimilar amp as output power and voltages go. The volume you describe sounds about right. That is, almost just loud enough.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks for the input Chuck - good to hear I made a sane choice on transformers - I actually put a lot of thought into it. The amp is much like a 5e3 but the schmidt splitter gives it a bit more headroom in the clean range, which is just what I wanted. As for the reverb, the 12ay7 half, with a 221K plate resistor does give enough gain, though adds noise. I actually wanted a reverb that would fit without chassis mods, and there is no more room for the tube and transformer fender type. I also liked the idea of keeping the reverb return tube amplified, so I used a version of Rod Elliot's push-pull headphone amp preceeded by an inverting gain stage (3x) to drive the pan. I'm inverting because I'm feeding the rev return into the other phase splitter input. The reverb sounds nearly identical to my Fender Silver Face Princeton. A 5751 gives a good middle ground between the AX7 and the AY7, not so hot and the 'verb sounds good.

I do like the sound of this amp through the Celestions

Comment

+++
        Sounds like you have already done some design and testing on your ideas. If it sounds good, it's right. You seem to have enough chops (as an amp tweaker and player) to dial it in. How about some sound clips??? Good designs are too often unheard...
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X