Blatting noise when adjusting bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blatting noise when adjusting bias

So I have finished building my orange graphic clone amp and when I went to dial up my idle current I get a wicked blatting noise. 2 of my tubes I can check the idle current on with my "Amp Head Dual" but when I try to turn them up or if I try to check the other 2 I get a really bad blatting noise from my speakers. The idle current with my Bias pot at minimum is about 29-31ma on the 2 that didn't go nuts. I'm using KT88's into a 2.5k load with about 500V on the plates once the amp warms up. I used the marshall style bias supply with the values for 6550's and I get a negative voltage range of -46V to -62V. I am only going for an output in the 120watt range. I hope I have provided enough info for some one to help me out. Oh and if you need a schematic I used the '72 OR120 and a marshall JMP (6550) bias supply.

Another note when I tried playing it at it's lowest idle setting it blats out with large signal and I think one power tube was arcing internaly

Try disconnecting the power amp NFB. If that makes it stop, you probably have the phase wrong and the feedback is positive.

If not, it's probably a layout issue making the thing oscillate violently. Try grid stoppers on the power tubes mounted right at the sockets, etc. Or a wiring mistake, something is just hooked up completely wrong.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Try double checking the actual voltages on the tube sockets; confirm that each pin is connected where it's supposed to be. Pete.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Well the grid stoppers did it I must have been picking something up from the B+ wiring or the OT primary wires.

Thanks for the help again

Comment

Working...
        X